Spiny Urchin: How big is too big?

frogsickle

Hey Folks,

I have a black spiny urchin Diadema savignyi and I'm afraid its diameter may be getting outta control. He's about 9 inches across at this point (no pun intended) and he may be getting a bit too big for the 90 gallon tank. How does one handle a critter that's outgrowing its environment?

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

-Frogsickle

ok... so the body is probably <2"... I think it will be fine. It may try and get into places breaking off spines, but its typical. Mine was gone for about 2 months at one point and just showed up one day. It got behind the rock work and was chowing down on coraline algae back there.

WI have one that is six inches from spine to spine. I just moved it my fuge. I have been reading they can get a taste for acros. Not mention it hurts really really bad if they poke you. I had one that poked my knuckle and I had to have surgery on it. It went into my knuckle sheath and stayed there for six months till my finger stopped working.

Edited by bige

WI have one that is six inches from spine to spine. I just moved it my fuge. I have been reading they can get a taste for acros. Not mention it hurts really really bad if they poke you. I had one that poked my knuckle and I had to have surgery on it. It went into my knuckle sheath and stayed there for six months till my finger stopped working.

OUCH! They do seem to have a knack to know where I'm working in the tank, and immediately head that direction. Been stuck a few times but nothing that bad.

They grow fast too!