Mail order fish...to eat

DerrickH

Has anyone here ordered any seafood online and if so what has been your experience? Im looking to order some mahi, yellow fin tuna, swordfish, wahoo, and C. bass. Ive never ordered any online so hoping some of yall can recommend a vendor. I'd like to get something a little more exotic but finding a retailer that for these items is difficult to say the least. I see there are some out of Hawaii though.

My brother who was a chef at a high end restaurant said many, or most, of the restaurants in town get theirs from quality seafood. Central market usually has good stock at about half the cost of whole foods. Are you looking for bulk or just for some smaller select pieces.

Local? Try the Asian market (My Tahnh?) on North Lamar just south of the Parmer intersection. I've been very impressed with their seafood selection and the prices are great. (large counter in the back of the store) Found some perfect pompano and redfish there before, very clear eyes and fresh... Many more unusual choices than the other local shops. Don't remember about wahoo but I love wahoo and ling. I need an offshore trip to fill the freezer

If you want it direct to your door, I can't help. That would be good info though. I'm in the boonies and delivery would be nice.

I called central market and they dont get what Im asking for very often. They always have albacore and salmon, but Im not after those. Well maybe some pacific salmon. Im probably going to order some mahi and ahi tuna steaks. They offer "fresh" and frozen. Not much price difference. Next day 10am delivery guaranteed from most of them. I see marlin is very difficult to get...

A few of them are $125 total order gives free shipping. Otherwise its $25 flat rate shipping to start. Im looking at ordering probably 2lbs of yellowfin, mahi, sword, and wahoo so should make the free shipping mark. I found another vendor that will do 4lbs of mahi (8ea 8oz steaks) for right at $100.

I get Mahi fairly frequently from a our HEB or central market. I've pretty much never seen the south central market not have mahi and ahi. They usually have black or red drum, and red snapper, at least 1 type of grouper or sea bass, swordfish. I occasionally see wahoo, ono, yellowtail, and other game fish. We cook fish about 3 times a week. The south central market has by far the best fish selection I've seen in Austin.

Edited by jestep

I haven't been in the North store in about 8 years so no idea about that one. The South location usually has 20+ different types of fish and at least that much in edible inverts. We get our oysters from them as well and for the fresh gulf ones, they run $.30 - $.60 each which is a really good deal when you're buying 50 - 100 of them. Comparably, Whole Foods charges about $1.10 - $1.80 for the same ones. But, Whole Foods usually does have a decent seafood selection as well.

Edited by jestep

If you didnt mind making a day trip of it you could go to san antonio to groomers fish market. This is where all the restaurants on the river walk get their fish and all the fancy hotels downtown.

Last time we stopped by we were sold the "left overs" that the hotels and restaurants didnt want. It was C. sea bass and they sold it at $9 per pound, flown in fresh that day. The hotels and restaurants turned them down because they were either too small for filets or too thin and would take up to much dinner plate real estate.

Take a couple hundred dollars down there with a nice cooler and you can stock up for months.