Breaker flipping? Am I pulling too much juice?!

Juiceman

I am flipping the breaker every 30mins or so. I plugged in my chiller and its pump into another breaker area with an extension cord and it went for about 2 hours and then flipped again. Is it that I have too many things running or could I have something shorting in my pumps etc?

Sounds, to me, that you are overloading the circuit. If you can isolate the chiller to something that isnt pulling any current, such as a closet light, see what happens. Why do you need to run a chiller? It's almost bedtime/lights out anyways, so if the lights go out you may not trip a breaker overnight.

I have flipped it in my apartment before the move but that was 15 gauge. I just split the equipment between 2 breakers and didn't have anymore trouble. At the new house it's a 20 amp and there's not another plug near it that's a different breaker.

Problem with the equipment? Is there a fuse on the chiller?

Grasping at straws here as I don't have a chiller.

Since y'all just moved in, I'd take some time and isolate what is tied together on each circuit in the subpanel. For example; in our home, the master closet, a main support wall in the home, and the garage are all on the same circuit. If your chiller, your entertainment center, and the dryer are all the same circuit, it might trip it.

I had this same problem when I set up three small tanks in my dinning room. I had the electrician come out and he determined that it was the GFCI that was cutting. Since I have GFCI built into my extension cords, he just took the outlets in the dinning room off of the built in GFCI. Everything runs smooth now. Please note that I described the situation to the best of my ability - I really have no idea how to correctly describe electrical components, etc.

Ok, After some trial and error, I figured out that the adjacent Breaker is causing the flip. I have a motion sensor on a light upstairs. Whenever this sensor is tripped to turn on the light, the breaker downstairs (adjacent to the bathroom breaker for upstairs) flips! They said that that shouldn't be happening, that the breaker is weak and they're going to replace the breaker.

Ok, electrician said that there were some loose wires behind the living room breaker that were touching it and we're causing it to flip. He replaced the breaker and made sure the wires weren't loose anymore. My vortech battery backup got a good test run out of all this!

Archived