lighting issues

Niko's Reef

Im having issues with my current usa lighting fixture. Not sure what my next step should be. 1 of the mh lights sometimes flickers and stops working. Not sure if its the ballast or a short. Is there anywhere in Austin that works on lights? Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you have two fixtures using the same ballast try swapping ballasts. The next step would be to swap bulbs (although it doesn't sound like a bulb to me). I imagine a good electrician could repair one but it may cost more than what the fixture is worth. Is it a fixture with multiple MH bulbs inside of it? Does it also have the ballasts inside the fixture? or are they separate?

Let me try to clarify, to see if this helps. The MH bulb on the left was the 1 flickering originally. I switched around that bulb/other bulbs a few times, and had different results. When I switched the bulb from the left to the right, it caused the right to flicker, or not come on, or sometimes it would work. Whenever it worked on the right side, however, the left would act up. This isn't always the case though. Sometimes both work. Also, the other used 1's that are pretty much toasted. This is what confuses me the most. If I had new 1's, it would answer my question. I just don't want to replace all the bulbs, then it ends up being something else. It is a double end bulb. I thought with the results, it might be the ballast or a loose connection. I was hoping that it would be a bulb, but I talked to a shop owner of an aquatics store and he said he didn't think that it would be a bulb. He said that they either come on, or they don't. When the bulb cuts off, I don't hear a constant humming noise. More of a flickering type noise. When I first turn them one, it usually takes it awhile for it to turn off. The 54 watt lamps, and the fans have no issues.

At this point I think you need to get two new bulbs and try them. If the problem is changing from the left to the right side when you move the bulb and sometimes they may or may not work either both bulbs are bad or both ballasts are bad or one ballast is bad and it's damaging the bulbs. Whichever of the three scenarios is correct you need to start using new parts to isolate the problem. Two new bulbs is the cheapest option. Two bad bulbs is also more likely than two bad ballasts or one ballast damaging the bulbs somehow. I would normally agree with the LFS but things don't always follow the rules. If you want to take apart the fixture to check the wiring any short will be obvious from arcing but the odds of a short affecting both sides I would think are very low. I've got a hammer if you need it. whistle.gif

Lol. Thanks Timfish. I'll start with new bulbs. I've been trying to find them locally. Any suggestions of who carries them at a reasonable price? The store I was at didn't have them, and told me online. I looked at ballast online today too. They weren't actually priced too bad either. The fixture is really easy to take apart, but I didn't know what to look for with a short. In the future, I know to look for an arch. Really helpful info. Feel better about it now, and it makes more sense.

One option is to get a couple cheap 3000K or 4000K bulbs from a local lighting store or home improvement store. I wouldn't use them long term but it's less expensive way to test your ballasts than getting quality marine bulbs.