Any tips for installing a tank on Wood flooring?

Sascha D.

We're looking to buy a new house and install 8mm laminent floors. I've always had carpet before and don't know if there is anything special you should do to prep the floors. Anyone have any experience with this?

Tank is 48x24x24

All-Glass standard wooden stand

Should I install castors or felt furniture pads?

Do you put a rug or something under the stand?

Any tips to make moving the tank later easier?

Thanks!

You could contact the manufacturer about an additional sealant on the flooring. As far as putting something under the tank I wouldn't do it. The wood needs to dry out if it gets damp and using an impermeable mat or sheeting will hold the mosture in contact with the wood which will damage it. There is I guess a risk of mold but salt residue will inhibit that to some degree. I would use feet or sliders or shims or something to give a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the stand and the floor.

Wouldn't the feet cause the floor to indent? To prevent sagging in the stand, you would probably have to install feet every 12" or so. I guess that would be 4 on each long side and 2 on each sort side for 12 total to evenly distribute the weight.

I know that Pergo laminate flooring has a seam sealant that you use when installing it in the bathroom or kitchen. The surface is water resistant, but if the seams get wet they cause the boards to swell. In my last house my dogs had a secret spot they were peeing on, by the time I found it the seams in that area had swollen and ruined the flooring.

Wouldn't the feet cause the floor to indent? To prevent sagging in the stand, you would probably have to install feet every 12" or so. I guess that would be 4 on each long side and 2 on each sort side for 12 total to evenly distribute the weight.

Depends on the flooring. I haven't seen denting issues with some but then others were noticable (there should be a compression rating yuo can find). As far as the stand sagging I see a lot of 4' long stands with feet just at the four corners.

I used a high density rubber underlayment for my tank. I got it at home depot for like $30-40. It is made from recycled tires and most people use it for weight rooms. There is a layer of felt on top. It fits together like a puzzle.

Between the stand and the flooring, cut to size? That's actually a really good idea. Does it look bad? Noticable?

My dad sells/owns a flooring company and said that the tank won't crush any flooring. He said laminate is actually 8" tall when it starts and is "crushed" to a quarter inch or less. There is not any crush left. And a high heel worn by a 100# women put down 2000# of pressure at the heel. He said the only issue would be if water gets in the joint then the material can expand 5% and once dryed will only go down 4%.

I would be really wary of putting anything under a stand on a hard surface. It could easily wick water under the mat which would most likely cause swelling or major damage and there would be no way to get to it. I'm battling with a rotting stand on one of my tanks. It had a flat bottom and wicked a bunch of water under it when my skimmate cup overflowed.

My dad sells/owns a flooring company and said that the tank won't crush any flooring. He said laminate is actually 8" tall when it starts and is "crushed" to a quarter inch or less. There is not any crush left. And a high heel worn by a 100# women put down 2000# of pressure at the heel. He said the only issue would be if water gets in the joint then the material can expand 5% and once dryed will only go down 4%.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the tank wouldn't damage the flooring.

I would be really wary of putting anything under a stand on a hard surface. It could easily wick water under the mat which would most likely cause swelling or major damage and there would be no way to get to it. I'm battling with a rotting stand on one of my tanks. It had a flat bottom and wicked a bunch of water under it when my skimmate cup overflowed.

I think the furiniture feet would definitely benefit then. This would allow water to be cleaned up or evaporate if it were to get under the tank.

Archived