Screen top

KimP

Yep, just use the stuff from home depot. It's aluminum, so no rust. I usually use the white or bronze, since it's painted and doesn't stick out as much as the bright aluminum.

I have screen tops on all of my tanks, if ya get into a problem, just pm me. They are easy, and really do save your fish (or in my case, eels).

Thanks for the offer mike. I actually have everything I need left over from another project, so I'm set. Just didn't know about the metal. I'm going to wait until the hob overflow comes because I'll have to take that and the return into account if I want it to sit flat.

Check out the bulk reef supply mesh top kits. They're a fiberglass mesh and aluminum frame. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-netting-kits.html

The only thing I would caution against, is if you have MH or other higher temp lighting close to the tank. It causes the screen to contract and warp.

They are easy to build, even a caveman could do it grin.png

Don't use regular window screen unless you intend to reduce the amount of light penetration in the tank. Use the mesh available from BRS. I have it on all of my tanks, works great and doesn't interfere with the lights at all.

You can find everything but the mesh at home depot or lowes. Just pay attention to the size of the screen rail that you pick up, make sure your screen corners are the same size as your rail (it will have the measurement on the package).

They are easy to build, even a caveman could do it grin.png

Don't use regular window screen unless you intend to reduce the amount of light penetration in the tank. Use the mesh available from BRS. I have it on all of my tanks, works great and doesn't interfere with the lights at all.

You can find everything but the mesh at home depot or lowes. Just pay attention to the size of the screen rail that you pick up, make sure your screen corners are the same size as your rail (it will have the measurement on the package).

You can use the "bird netting" mesh from Home Depot's garden section if you want to get everything at the same place.

Walmart actually has a pretty good selection of screen and frame as well.

I was thinking of trying bird netting. I have some with pretty small squares left over from squirrel/bird-proofing the garden. You just make it the same as regular screen?

I was thinking of trying bird netting. I have some with pretty small squares left over from squirrel/bird-proofing the garden. You just make it the same as regular screen?

Yes, that's what I did. I had the 1/2" black bird netting originally. The holes in it were too large and my mystery wrasse still managed to jump through it so I'd go with the smaller weave.

I have been thinking about doing this for my 75g also ... mainly because my glass tops get so dirty and filter out a lot of the light.

But I suspect that switching to mesh tops would drastically increase the evaporation rate. Which probably would lead me to figure out some sort of auto-topoff for my sumpless tank.

I have been thinking about doing this for my 75g also ... mainly because my glass tops get so dirty and filter out a lot of the light.

But I suspect that switching to mesh tops would drastically increase the evaporation rate. Which probably would lead me to figure out some sort of auto-topoff for my sumpless tank.

I need 5 - 10 gallons per week in an open top 50 gallon, 36" x 18". In a typical 75, I wouldn't be surprised if you need 10 gallons per week, possibly more if you are running MH or have active cooling fans.

Sorry to threadjack Kim, but running (2)250MH and (6)54w actinics, my 90g is losing about 1g a day. An auto-topoff is a cheap effective way to deal with this

No problem, this is interesting and certainly something to consider. That's a lot of water!

But if the mesh has too small of holes when do you start to block the light? My closed top biocube evaporates a half gallon to a gallon a day. A gallon the last month.

It would have to be pretty fine to block the light, such as the window screen or solar screen material you find on house windows. The bird netting is nowhere near that tight of mesh as the goal is to let plants receive light but keep bugs and birds off them

• 7 months later...

I'm working on making these screen tops for my 90 gal. I built the 2 frames and am going to spray paint them black before putting in the mesh. Anyway, I'm stuck because I realized I will have 2 cords going into the tank from the 2 powerheads. Any ideas what to do about them? If I run them through the mesh, the tops won't be fully removable, if that makes sense. If I set the tops on top of the cords, the tops sit way high and won't be effective keeping in jumpers. Plus it looks dumb. Ideas?

I'm working on making these screen tops for my 90 gal. I built the 2 frames and am going to spray paint them black before putting in the mesh. Anyway, I'm stuck because I realized I will have 2 cords going into the tank from the 2 powerheads. Any ideas what to do about them? If I run them through the mesh, the tops won't be fully removable, if that makes sense. If I set the tops on top of the cords, the tops sit way high and won't be effective keeping in jumpers. Plus it looks dumb. Ideas?

I have no cords in my display, but if I did, I'd notch the frame on the tank or the mesh frame.

Great ideas, thanks. If I do notches, then I'll have to notch both the tank frame and screen frame, I hadn't thought of cutting both. The tank frame is wide enough that I'd have to cut completely through the screen frame for the cord to fit. I also like the idea of making them a little shorter so I have the flexibility of moving the powerheads if needed down the line.

I had a glass top, old and chipped, but was using it until I finished (Read start and finished) my canopy... well, due to some rough handling the chip sprouted legs and then cracked all the way across. Looking for ideas for a screen of some sort on my tank. Given the WONDERFUL challenges with this 1/4 circle tank, a standard frame will not work, round corners non-straight sides and all. Anyone with a bow-front or similar have any experience, or any ideas?

I my fish load is very low right now an I don't know if any will jump, but i do have plans in the near future to add more, and I expect until they are settled there is a chance they might jump out.

Archived