Acrylic Glass

Niko's Reef

I bought a used sea clear system 2. It has a few light scratches on it, but nothing too major. I've never had acrylic b4, but I've read the light scratches are easy to remove. What is the best thing for removal? I was told very fine sandpaper. This makes me nervous. Heard also there are some kits, but was wondering about this since it's a chemical? Would the kits chemicals be harmful to the setup? If not, what is a good kit? Is it available locally? I'm only cycling the live rock and sand in the sump for now. The tank was pre drilled, but didn't come with a return pump or powerheads. Have to save up for a few things, plus I'm going to ATL next week and don't want a new setup. So it will be awhile b4 I'm ready. Wanted to repaint the stand a different color and try to remove the scratches 1st. Also, came with a canopy, that I'm not too interested in, if anyone is looking for 1. It fits 48".

The first thing I would try is Novus 3 then Novus 2. http://aquariumsupplies.marinedepot.com/search?w=novus&modaf=null If the sctatches are too deep for the Novus products you can get one of the kits with different grits of sandpaper/laping paper going to 9000 or 12,000 grit http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_Acrylic_Scratch_Removal_Kit_72000_Tank_Cleaning_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB1551-FIMTCK-vi.html Talk to Prof or Dave Pettet for more details

• Like 1

Always test any product you get on the bottom of the tank. One thing that is pretty universal about acrylic tanks is they always have scratches on the bottom and they almost always get covered by sand/roc/etc. It makes a perfect testing ground for polishing products. If what you buy ends up making it hazy/worse/etc. it is no big deal. The back (especially if you have an internal overflow) works too. Just don't start smack dab in the middle of the front. :)

Thanks all for the input on topic. Dave, I ended up reading your whole blog. Truly amazing, and educational. After seeing how awesome your tank is, it made me want to take even more time to get it right. Never taken much time with my tanks. Always trying to rush thru them and get them going immediately. This 1 is going to be my baby. Hope the kit works out better for me, but I doubt it. It had shipped by the time I read your experience. Read good and bad reviews, so I'm kind of nervous. I appreciate the offer on the sandpaper, and will let you know. The scratches are really light, mainly on the bottom do to the moving of sand and rocks. Sorry about your mom and the crash. I know how retirement homes can affect your loved 1's as well as you. Going thru that as well.

It's mainly on the bottom of the tank, but some scratches are on the bottom of the front glass as well. Not worried about the actual bottom too much. Was wondering if I'm being too picky? Seems like it will get scratched anyways from the crushed coral that I will place at the bottom of it.

That's what I was thinking due to the sand. Has some scratches as well on top due to the hood that was on it. Not too sure I want to use the hood. This is my first rimless tank. Really like it compared to the 1's I have.