16g nano tank

gibs

Hi guys new to the hobby and ARC right at the end of cycling a new 16g tank. Been going to Aquatek and they have sold me everything so far even doing the water tests for me but I ordered my own so that should be here soon. This tank has been up since 6/15/2012 and as of yesterday they told me I had no Ammonia but Nitrites are still a little high so no living life yet! This weekend I hope to get some CUC and pick out the first piece of coral for the tank. I am doing this project with my 10 year old daughter (I have a 5 year old also but she is more interested in just seeing the fish than helping plan and pick out stuff). Question I have right now is everything I have been reading and looking at for the past few weeks does a good job of introducing you to new fish species and which ones are good for beginners and appropriate size tank what have you. But I can't seem to find much of the same for corals? I know a little bit but I just get lost trying to research all of them at once! Anyone know of a good resource that would just go over most of the basics and some of the most common types and what their needs are? Thanks guys.

IMG_6092.jpg

Edited by JamesL
Fixed image link.

Everything looks great. If I were you, I would list the corals you want. Then we can steer you in the right direction. I, personally would avoid Xenia and gsp in such a small tank. Tell us what your thinking and your long term goals. Experience is a great teacher.

• Like 1

I have a nano tank also and everyone has their opinion but most softies are pretty hardy and if you watch them close they can really show you if your parameters are good. Mushrooms are a good starter that grow fast have a lot of color and are easy to trim when they get to big. Most Zoanthids and Palys are pretty though and come in an endless variety of colors and patterns. +1 on what Bige said. GSP and Xenia are pretty but can take over your tank, but they are very hardy and most will say a good beginner coral. They are hard to get rid of once they take hold on your rock. I have some Xenia on a frag that was eaten by my urchin twice to where it looked like nothing was there and it has slowly grown back... Ricordias are really pretty too with lots of color.

If i can say anything, I learned was don't put too many fish in the tank and don't feed too much because you will be fighting algae, and although we all do at some point it is not the fun part of this hobby and can make you very angry. Pay close attention that you don't have phosphates.

I may spend to much time, but I spend about an hour on my tank each day. I honestly do not use many test at all because if you pay attention to your tank enough the way the corals look and growth rate will let you know what you need to do.

When you get to the point of needing to add trace elements I use Kent nano part A and B and it works very well and is easy to measure because most additives are concentrated and are in 50 gallon or larger measurements.

I kinda strolled off the path there but if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me!

On that size tank you'll be looking primarily at soft corals. Leathers such as devils hand leather are almost bulletproof. I have several frags available now for free. Duncan corals are great as well as mushrooms. JeeperTy (member here) has some mini-carpet anemones that are about the size of a quarter and do great in small tanks (I have 3 in my pico).

As for non-corals, a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be great in that size tank. Firefish are fairly easy and very attractive, or you could go the route of decorator shrimp.

Whatever you choose, we're glad to have you aboard and sharing the hobby with your daughter!

On that size tank you'll be looking primarily at soft corals. Leathers such as devils hand leather are almost bulletproof. I have several frags available now for free. Duncan corals are great as well as mushrooms. JeeperTy (member here) has some mini-carpet anemones that are about the size of a quarter and do great in small tanks (I have 3 in my pico).

As for non-corals, a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be great in that size tank. Firefish are fairly easy and very attractive, or you could go the route of decorator shrimp.

Whatever you choose, we're glad to have you aboard and sharing the hobby with your daughter!

Thanks for the advice Mike I am currently letting my LFS guide me through my first frag but I a may be interested in some of those free frags grin.png. And I was thinking the goby and pistol shrimp would be a awesome combo with at most as a second fish would be a false ocellaris (I have 2 girls that love to watch finding nemo it's pretty much a forgone conclusion I am going to have to have one at some point LOL). I appreciate the advise and support man thanks!

I have a nano tank also and everyone has their opinion but most softies are pretty hardy and if you watch them close they can really show you if your parameters are good. Mushrooms are a good starter that grow fast have a lot of color and are easy to trim when they get to big. Most Zoanthids and Palys are pretty though and come in an endless variety of colors and patterns. +1 on what Bige said. GSP and Xenia are pretty but can take over your tank, but they are very hardy and most will say a good beginner coral. They are hard to get rid of once they take hold on your rock. I have some Xenia on a frag that was eaten by my urchin twice to where it looked like nothing was there and it has slowly grown back... Ricordias are really pretty too with lots of color.

If i can say anything, I learned was don't put too many fish in the tank and don't feed too much because you will be fighting algae, and although we all do at some point it is not the fun part of this hobby and can make you very angry. Pay close attention that you don't have phosphates.

I may spend to much time, but I spend about an hour on my tank each day. I honestly do not use many test at all because if you pay attention to your tank enough the way the corals look and growth rate will let you know what you need to do.

When you get to the point of needing to add trace elements I use Kent nano part A and B and it works very well and is easy to measure because most additives are concentrated and are in 50 gallon or larger measurements.

I kinda strolled off the path there but if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me!

Radney thanks for the advice sounds awesome! I am currently looking at some mushrooms I do love them just not sure if they are going to be ok for my very first frag but we shall see. Thanks for the offer of help I am sure I will be PMing you at some point :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated this week its been a little crazy with the holiday here is a link to some pictures I took. The first one is my live rock covered in algae after getting the tank cycled second one is how good it looked 2 days after adding some CUC. On 7/1 I added 6 hermit crabs and and 7 snails. If anyone can identify the reddish looking snail the black one and the big white one that I have one pic of cause as soon as I put it in it burrowed under the gravel and haven't seen it but one other time LOL, I would appreciate it. Aquatek was really busy when I picked them up and the sales guy was extremely busy, and was going to write the names down for me but soon as I paid turned around and started helping someone else and I didn't bother to wait and wish I had. On Thursday I added one frogspawn, green star polyp, and zoanthid. Wasn't really planning on getting anyone yet but was out with some friends on the 4th and a friend of a friend I met was taking down his nano cube and basically gave these to me for coming to pick them up. So I guess good or not I got them and if they don't work no loss right? Ammonia and nitrites went up after adding the cuc calmed back down 2 days later after doing water changes and just letting the tank settle. Ph sits a 7.83-7.94 but alkalinity is at 10 dkh so not sure if I should be concerned about the low ph but baking soda just seems to increase my hardness and not my ph. Everything looks good the polyps and zoa's opened up after just 30 minutes after acclimating them and adding them to the tank. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions feel free to chime in smile.png

Forgot to add the link

https://plus.google.com/photos/117278173773073762131/albums/5762586361103796577?authkey=CJ_nmIWp0ejFpAE

Edited by gibs

Sounds like a mini cycle. This happens sometimes when things are added. Since you have added life to it, I would suspect something died causing a small ammonia spike and started the cycle again but with enough nitrifying bacteria, the byproduct is nitrates. I'd stick a lump of cheato in the back of the tank and let it gobble the nitrates up. Also a great place for pods to thrive.

If anyone can identify the reddish looking snail the black one and the big white one that I have one pic of cause as soon as I put it in it burrowed under the gravel and haven't seen it but one other time LOL, I would appreciate it.

The burrowing one is a nassarius. They don't eat algae, but they clean up leftover food and possibly some detritus. When you feed the tank he will most likely appear.

The small dark one is a cerith. The light one by the return is a nerite. The cone shaped one is a trochus. I think the one on the overflow is a margarita, but someone may want to confirm this.

As far as your additives, I would leave the tank alone and just keep up with weekly water changes. In my experience it's unnecessary at best and dangerous most of the time to mess with parameters in a tank this small. Do 10 - 20% water change per week with good matched water and you should be fine. If you get your water at the same place every time, it should be about the same every time you do a change.

If you're going to be in South Austin any time soon I have some chaeto you can have.

gibs,

If you need water, let me know. I can make 15-20g for you. That should last a while. Pick up a couple of those big plastic water containers from walmart and bring them over. short drive for ya lol You will need salt though, not sure if you have been getting pre made water or if you do it yourself like most of us do.

If anyone can identify the reddish looking snail the black one and the big white one that I have one pic of cause as soon as I put it in it burrowed under the gravel and haven't seen it but one other time LOL, I would appreciate it.

The burrowing one is a nassarius. They don't eat algae, but they clean up leftover food and possibly some detritus. When you feed the tank he will most likely appear.

The small dark one is a cerith. The light one by the return is a nerite. The cone shaped one is a trochus. I think the one on the overflow is a margarita, but someone may want to confirm this.

As far as your additives, I would leave the tank alone and just keep up with weekly water changes. In my experience it's unnecessary at best and dangerous most of the time to mess with parameters in a tank this small. Do 10 - 20% water change per week with good matched water and you should be fine. If you get your water at the same place every time, it should be about the same every time you do a change.

If you're going to be in South Austin any time soon I have some chaeto you can have.

Thanks for the identification jestep! Yeah I have quit dosing the tank and everything is fine it just seems like I do water changes and the nitrates never go down. Let me know a good time for you and I will be more than happy to stop by and pick up some cheato from you thursday through sunday whatever is good for you. Thanks man I really appreciate it!

gibs,

If you need water, let me know. I can make 15-20g for you. That should last a while. Pick up a couple of those big plastic water containers from walmart and bring them over. short drive for ya lol You will need salt though, not sure if you have been getting pre made water or if you do it yourself like most of us do.

Derrick I have just been using the aquatek water but the last water change was with my tap water here dechlorinated and it seems to test out fine. Testing before the mix and after all the levels are fine my tank water just wants to stay at 5.0 p.p.m no matter how many water changes I do but ammonia and nitrites are 0.

5ppm for NO3 should be fine. It's not perfect, but if it's stable you shouldn't have a problem with most anything. I wouldn't use tap water though. It's almost a guarantee to get a huge algae bloom. Austin water is horrible as far as NO3, PO4, and silica go, out of the tap. I have a heck of a time keeping algae at bay in my planted tank. If you can get away with it that's awesome, but I couldn't imagine trying to keep a reef tank in order with tap water.

Well I know that the apartment I stay at has a huge water softener and a DI unit because our water out here is so hard. But yeah I need to invest in a UV light since I am fixing to be doing water changes in 85 gallon tank!