New Hobbyist and ARC member

gibs

Hi guys I have recently been bitten by the aquariast bug and just getting into it. Currently cycling a 16g nuvo 16 tank that I got from aquatek with 10lbs of live rock and a bag of live sand. Plans right now are starting with a few corals and maybe a damsel or false ocellaris. I have been reading my butt off the past few weeks with books and websites and learning alot! What this has led to is I am already planning my upgrade! LOL I am committed to keeping my current tank up and going for at least 6 months to get my feet wet and making sure I don't kill everything in a week thumbsdown.gif . However all this research has me really wanting a 150 gallon tank with a snowflake or banana eel and lionfish or 2 LOL, with lots of reef! So I will be starting a build thread for that pretty soon so I can start planning and having a lot of fun with my 10 year old daughter trying to figure out some good corals and fish to buy for our 16g. Anyways thanks ahead of time for all the answers to my noob questions wave.gif

Welcom! I'm new myself as well and have gotten far more friendly and fast advice on here than in much larger forums. Even scored some awesome equipment from the classifieds. One piece of advice id give, is if you're going for a damsel, I recommend an azure damsel. They're probably the most gentle and peaceful of the damsels and really nice looking. Most other damsels are quite aggressive from what I've read

Welcom! I'm new myself as well and have gotten far more friendly and fast advice on here than in much larger forums. Even scored some awesome equipment from the classifieds. One piece of advice id give, is if you're going for a damsel, I recommend an azure damsel. They're probably the most gentle and peaceful of the damsels and really nice looking. Most other damsels are quite aggressive from what I've read

Thanks to all for the welcome. Bpb I think I was thinking of something else when I said damsel but if I do it will be the only fish in the aquarium but don't think I am going that route. Thanks for the advice and welcome :)

Welcome and good luck! Small tanks are tricky, test often.
Welcome. Small tanks are tough. I kept a 5 g - frequent water changes is key. Good luck.
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your build; always coveted that nuvo tank at aquatek! :lol:

Thanks for the welcome guys! I have indeed already learned that keeping a small tank with stable water quality is a challenge and wishing I had gone with a larger tank as my first one! Oh well next step is learning how to mix my own saltwater already tired of going down to austin to aquatek for water every week!

Thanks again!

Keep a reservoir of premixed SW and add auto topoff. It will make your life infinately easier.

Not sure I understand that correctly, The auto topoff would be for water evaporation so it should be normal distilled water right? If I understand right the SW I should be mixing like a week ahead of time and just using a simple up to aerate it and get it thourghly mixed correct?