Red sea salt mix question

bige

I use the red sea coral pro and that is about right. If my memory serves me right I think the instructions call for 1lbs 2oz or 1lbs 6oz for five gallons. I make up ~15 gallons at a time and I believe it takes about 3.6lbs of salt.

When I first started using it I took a plastic quart sized coffee container and weighed out the exact amount that was listed on the instructions using a digital kitchen scale. I then marked container where the salt level was at for five gallons of water. Now I just get three of those scoops when I make 15 gallons. I dont usually have to tweek the SG very much at all once I get the water topped off to 15g. So the measurement was accurate.

There are several people who hate RS but I've been using it for years now. It is the best salt I have found for my tank.

But to answer your question, yes, if that seemed like a lot of salt your measurement was probably correct.

I prefer to mix mine by weight of the salt rather than volume. I think it is a little more precise.... but not that it matters since the volume of water in the jugs can easily be a little off from each-other anyways.

I mix to 1.026, so I use 725g per 5g jug filled up to where the jugs flatten out, not to the 5g mark on the back.

Some people have complained about RSCP having too much sediment, but I always mix it for 12 hours or so before adding it to the tank, and have never had any sort of cloudiness. I drop a Koralia Nano down into the jug with an airstone just to help aerate the mix and let that run overnight before I do my water changes.

Thanks everyone. I use to use oceanic and it was 2 and 1/2 cups. So to use 4 cups ( which is 32 ounces) seems like a lot. It may take more because I'm still mixing.

Don't forget that volume and weight are different measurements. The 32oz (Volume) that your 4 cups (volume) uses is not the same as adding 32oz of salt by weight. 32oz of salt by weight would be wayyy too much.

Well if you guys are using 2 1/2 cups per 5 gallons then I will try that and see what I get. I must say, the first water Change with red sea salt really made my coral stand up. All Sps have really good polyp extension. More so than ever before. So far I'm glad I changed to this salt.

Also temperature changes the salinity quite a bit, so take that into account when mixing water.

Personal experience: forgot about temp difference, end up mixing 1cup/gal SW for my first change. *facepalm*

Also temperature changes the salinity quite a bit, so take that into account when mixing water.

Personal experience: forgot about temp difference, end up mixing 1cup/gal SW for my first change. *facepalm*

It's interesting you bring that up. I don't heat my water when mixing. But my tank doesn't have a heater. So I figured it would work out.

It does a bit, according to this Lab testing. http://www.lumcon.ed...ase/SGTable.pdf

But tis' a subject for the hard-core reef enthusiast.

What im trying to bring aware to is the fact that sometimes we forget that Austin can get really hot and there's temperature differences between areas of the house; i just ran out to test my fresh water temp, it was at 85F @ 1.23am, and i highly doubt anyone would measure the salt down the the exact 'milligrams', so although it might not be too much of a difference, but all together it's makes a dangerous concoction.

p.s. i run my tank at 79F, that's why it's part of my husbandry to test water temp, but it varies from tank to tank.

Sorry if i sound like im being picky and a know-it-all, i just dont want any preventable accidents from happening to a fellow reef-er

Edited by Pailines