Making Waves

Grog

Planning my next tank :D

This time I will do the Texas theme tank. Not going to mess with coral in this one, just fish, macros, and rocks. The coastal region I'm looking at is Jetty/Beachfront. I've convinced myself that I want to make waves. I like the look and it fits the theme.

The gear that caught my eye was the Ecotech Vortech MP10w series pumps.

Any of y'all have one of these? Like it?

Also, do wave motions in a tank have a long term wear and tear effect on the tank, as in decreasing life span of the seams?

Well I don't know how big or small the tank will be but I had a mp10w on 25g and it was a NO-GO! I would pay a Lil more for the mp40w if I was you and even at that my tunze wave box kills them all.....

If you're looking for a straight up wave, a Tunze wave box is better. If you're looking for more diverse functionality, an mp10 can create a wave. I have one on my Solana and it does make a small wave (I keep it small to avoid water on the floor!).

I have full size wave box in a 72g bowfront. I get 2" wave with rock and pumps running. Without the rocks and such I could generate up to a 6" wave. Water was literally splashing out all over my garage floor.....The longer a tank is the better the wave, that comes straight from tunze. Bowfronts however are a total pain in the....to generate a wave due to energy loss in the center of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I have full size wave box in a 72g bowfront. I get 2" wave with rock and pumps running. Without the rocks and such I could generate up to a 6" wave. Water was literally splashing out all over my garage floor.....The longer a tank is the better the wave, that comes straight from tunze. Bowfronts however are a total pain in the....to generate a wave due to energy loss in the center of the tank.

Does your tank have the two risers for inflow and outflow? My 72 bow has them and that makes me leary of waving.

Archived