Automobile diagnostics

subsea

My 1999 Camray overheated and stranded me on MoPac. No worries, Mike Frame to the rescue. Thank you for getting me off the highway Friday afternoon.

I need a little troubleshooting direction. Engine overheated because of low water in radiator. When trying to start engine, at this time, it seems to be tuning over much faster then normal. No attempt at ignition. Would a broken timing belt prevent valves from opening and consequently no compression in piston chambers? I was looking for a way to remove valve covers to observe operation of cam shaft. My day laborer has put on his mechanic cap and we are working on it.

Patrick

What does the oil look like? Milky? Why did you get low water. When did you last replace your radiator cap? Without seeing it its hard to tell and I'm not familiar with toyotas. But not sure why the timing belt would make the car over heat. Does it start? And run? Theres a few things I would look at. But I'm not a professional mechanic but I do work on a lot of cars (just my bum family).

Well since its cranking over faster than normal leads me to believe its got a dead cylinder. Good ole aluminum heads and cast iron block....scrubbing effect on the head gasket due to different heat exhange rates of the two materials and rapid cooling/heating due to low coolant level.

The engine overheated because of .5 gallon low on water in radiator. Cap is new. Engine has 220K miles and I am not to concerned about how the water got low in the radiator. I bought the car new.

The engine does not start. It is parked at my home after $300 worth of towing fees. Yes, I can see blow-by near one cylinder between head gasket and block. However, it does not look like a new event. Even if it was, it should not stop the other three cylinders from firing. A friend is bringing a compression gauge, so that I can verify condition of engine. However, I have never changed spark plugs on this vehicle and am befudled as to how to gain access to the plugs. I will be loooking at links on line.

Patrick

PS There is no water in engine oil. Oil quantity and quality is OK.

I could not timely remove the fourth sparkplug. The access is a 6" recessed hole with a ceramic tube to protect plug wire inside engine block. The #4 plug had much wet oil in cylinder port and #3 plug remains in cylinder block. Compression shows 60 psi on 1,2 and 4 cylinders. I am confused. Good readings would be 175 psi. I still suspect broke timing belt. The cover for timing belt is against an engine mount and requires two people to obseve operation of timing belt. I will wait on a second person. I located a used engine for $1200. It is hard to justify spending much money on an old car as this.