cuttlefish question

Bannerfish

if you were to see an imported cuttlefish for sale, what species is it that is most commonly available? i know the sepia bandensis is the dwarf species that's sometimes bred in captivity, and there's a large 18in cuttlefish that is kept too. when they're small is there a way to tell them apart?

or better yet does anyone here keep or breed them?

I have never kept them but I have seen them kept in 1000 gallon tanks made from plywood and rubber liner. Like all the cephlapods they are very effecient hunters and only cohabitate with potential mates and Dinner. They also are short lived and die after breeding.

if i ever had a tank large enough I'd definitely try one of the larger species, but I'd been hoping to find the bandensis (these ssp are supposed to only get about 4in) within driving distance. one big reason i even started a saltwater tank is to try to keep these! i know someone who imported one and already has it feeding well, but he's not sure of the species. that cuttlefish is about 4in, i did not want to get that one. i figured if its a dwarf, its already an adult and will prob die soon and i won't know if its something i did, our just because its old, and if its not the dwarf, it will get too large for any tank i have here :/ idk how to tell the different species apart though, besides their adult size.

I added 2 of them to my refugium recently, I got them in as eggs from my distributor. One had hatched in the bag, it was tiny. I dropped the unhatched egg and the hatched cuttlefish in the fuge since its a great place for them to hunt amphipods. I haven't seen them since but I'm not suprised, there is a large ball of cheato in there and they would be the size of marble at best. I hope they are doing well, I'm planning on ordering a couple more but next time I will hatch them in a 10 gallon tank so I can watch them closer. I keep looking for them everyday but no sign of them yet.

oooh! If you find them when can i come see them?! Definitely keep me in mind please. which species did you get? i have never seen one in person, even though their lifespan is terribly short, Id love to try keeping them myself :D

The biggest problem IMO is the lifespan. From what I've read, some of the dwarf varieties are only a few months at best. Seems like a lot of work to have to continuously replenish them. Otherwise they would be really cool tank inhabitants.

The biggest problem IMO is the lifespan. From what I've read, some of the dwarf varieties are only a few months at best. Seems like a lot of work to have to continuously replenish them. Otherwise they would be really cool tank inhabitants.

Just get a bunch of eggs a month or two before the in-laws or investors come over.

their lifespan is terribly short, what a shame! but i would think because they are so and different from any other fish commonly kept it should be with the trouble? I'll find out one of these days, i really like the weird stuff :-)