Is there a tempered test?

Jared C

I have a 55 gallon tank that I wish to get into a local elementary school. However, my setup is going to require two holes for water flow. I've drilled before, but I am worried this tank is tempered. Not that this should be an indication, but it has rounded edges and a greenish hue when you look into the edges. I've read online again the noise tempered vs non-tempered glass makes when you tap it with your keys. I can't tell any different (the bottom pane is definitely tempered as per the sticker saying not to drill!). I need the holes in the back pane anyways, so it's ok if the bottom pane is tempered. I've also read that some LCD screens become polarized when looked at through tempered glass. Again, I can't tell anything.

Any ideas on how to test if it's tempered? It's such a nice tank in great condition, I don't want to drill and crack it.

I tried that myself and couldn't get it to work, maybe I was doing it wrong,

There are a few things to look for. One is a sticker on the bottom that says do not drill bottom (ok to drill sides) or do not drill. If there isn't a sticker I would be fairly confident its not tempered. The other way to tell for sure is if its 1/4" glass or 3/8" glass. 1/4" non tempered is not usually used for 55 gallon since its safety rating is really low, most of the time its 3/8" if its non tempered. If its 1/4" glass I would not drill it....if its 3/8" and there is no sticker on the bottom personally I would give it a 95% chance that its non tempered glass. The last thing to look for is any chips on the glass edge. I'm almost certain that tempered glass will not chip, it just breaks.

I tried the lcd trick. I'm 0 for 3 on trying to drill 55g tanks. None had stickers, all imploded.

I know that there is a test that some glass places use, maybe a call to one of them might be in order?

LCD's have a polarizing filter. You should be able to tell really quick if the glass is tempered. Even a smart phone should work.

Also, if you have any good quality polarized sunglasses, you may be able to tell if you shine sunlight or bright light through the panes. Look from several angles. If it's tempered, it should have a grid'ish pattern.

When in doubt a drill will tell for sure...

I tried that myself and couldn't get it to work, maybe I was doing it wrong,

There are a few things to look for. One is a sticker on the bottom that says do not drill bottom (ok to drill sides) or do not drill. If there isn't a sticker I would be fairly confident its not tempered. The other way to tell for sure is if its 1/4" glass or 3/8" glass. 1/4" non tempered is not usually used for 55 gallon since its safety rating is really low, most of the time its 3/8" if its non tempered. If its 1/4" glass I would not drill it....if its 3/8" and there is no sticker on the bottom personally I would give it a 95% chance that its non tempered glass. The last thing to look for is any chips on the glass edge. I'm almost certain that tempered glass will not chip, it just breaks.

I have tried it as well with no luck. PLEASE NOTE THAT NOT ALL LCDS ARE EQUAL. I have noticed all the LCDs on my laptop/phones were NOT polarized. I had to borrow someone's old phone with an old style LCD to do the test. The test was inconclusive, though. Thanks for the other tips. It does have a "TEMPERED" sticker on the bottom. I talked to a tank guy and he said most of the time the bottom is tempered and the sides are not.

I tried the lcd trick. I'm 0 for 3 on trying to drill 55g tanks. None had stickers, all imploded.

I know that there is a test that some glass places use, maybe a call to one of them might be in order?

Can you elaborate? Were you drilling the bottom or sides? Do you know for a fact your LCD was polarized and your sunglasses were polarized? Thanks.

If you can take to a glass store they will be able to tell. Might give the glass store a call first.

Thanks, will try it.

What I'll do tonight - I'll run the LCD test again, this time I'll break out a different monitor I know will work better. I will also run it against a control group (another tank I have with many glass chips). If I can't get any good clues, I'll call more glass shops (tried one before) and see if they can help.

Thanks for all the great (and funny) replies!

Archived