Anemone splitting

Grog

I have a small green bubble tip anemone, got it at the frag swap.

It split today. Kind of unexpected.

I'm guessing I should leave the two halves alone for a week or so, so they heal up, then I can trade the other half away. Does that sound right?

I'm also guessing that a split is always a good thing, and that it is happy, right?

Then again, my emerald mithrax is living in the shadows of the anemone. Maybe that stressed it. Water is in good shape and I feed it mysis, looks healthy, except a little ragged around the split section. The ragged area appears to be healing up quickly. Maybe my crab is an anemone splitting catlyst?

Either way, it is a cool thing to see.

Going to keep my eyes on it for a few days as the split half (the one that moved away) is wandering.

Here is a picture of the two newly split critters. 6 Line Wrasse had to get into the picture. Later when I want a picture of the wrasse, I'm sure he won't be any where near the camera. :P

post-2370-0-40829500-1336941236_thumb.jp

Sorry for so many serial posts on this thread.

Grog I purchased a green bubble tip at the last meeting as well and I noticed today that it had split into two as well. I haven't been paying any attention to my tank for the last week so I do not know when it happened. My tank has a large amount of macro algae so it seems like things are always getting lost or hidden in it. First time for me.

Cool to know. Did a little reading on this and some folks seem to think the GBTA split more when they are smaller. Odd observation and counter-intuitative but I'll take it for what it is. :) Not saying that is a fact but we are two occurences....

seems the green split often compared to the rose. My green that I got from chad and belinda split 2 weeks after I got it. I was feeding it 1/4 silversides with the fins, tails, and heads removed. I quit feeding them when I ended up with 5 of them....

• Like 1

seems the green split often compared to the rose. My green that I got from chad and belinda split 2 weeks after I got it. I was feeding it 1/4 silversides with the fins, tails, and heads removed. I quit feeding them when I ended up with 5 of them....

Where do you get the silversides?

Got mine at Petco too. Feed mine silversides and mysis. Not a whole silversides, just a piece. Usually cut one into 4 pieces and feed each anemone and the mantis.

I almost bought a bag of silversides at Petco the other day but put it back. How the HECK are you supposed to get one fish out when they are all stuck together. I know RCA has some in a container that are freeze dried and are loose. Jakedoza showed me what he had and it was waaaay easier to get one fish than to melt the entire pack...So Grog how do you get one fish out?

I bought my first bag of them the other day and thought the exact same thing, lol. But I read the package and it says the fish are all frozen independently, then put it the bag. So it's easy to pop out one at a time even though they are all frozen.

I take the big frozen cube and whack it on the side of my counter top. Usually a piece about the size of a 50 cent coin will break off. Thaw it in a little cup of tank water and some Selcon, and you'll have your silversides in tiny pieces just right for all of your anemones mouths.

Don't feed whole silversides or pieces larger than the anemones mouth as they can have serious problems digesting them. They'll try, but then often regurgitate when you're not looking and the silversides can foul your tank.

• Like 1

The trick is DO NOT THAW THE BAG. They are easy to get out when they are hard as a rock. If you let the bag thaw, the juice will accumulate and when frozen again, will stick them all together :(

Make sure to remove the head and tail fin. These items are not digested easily. The main body of the silverside is all they need. Usually one silverside can feed 3 nems.

Awesome Grog. Interesting point about them splitting when they are smaller. Mine is huge, and I don't really want it to split. Yeah, Siversides in a bag are hard to break off, after they have been thawed out.