My landlord has bedbugs on his side of the duplex and he is going to treat both sides as to eliminate the problem. I'm not sure when he is planning on doing this probably soon.

They are going to heat the house to a very high temperature with lots of heat, and will require us to be gone for up to two days.

Now, I can catch everybody however I do not have another tank to support them for 2 or more days.

Everybody fish, corals, inverts will have to go.

Should I go ahead and take the live rock out and leave it submerged in a giant white icechest/container?

Also will there be some sort of large die off in the tank with the remaining bacteria?

I cannot feasibly move 150 gallons of water or the tank

Also I'm sure I will have to borrow a chiller to lower the temperature either while this heat treatment is going on or shortly after its semi safe. In order to minimize bacteria loss.

From what we've been told the walls will be hot to the touch.

Is there going to be a lot of evaporative loss?

I'm buying my own water so this would be costly for me.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions please let me know. I haven't received a date yet, but I'm sure its coming

Drew Mendez 303-847-9500

Drew, before considering moving everything from the tank, I would research restaurant supply vendors for cold water display tanks of lobster. Rent/lease chiller to maintain temperature in your display tank. I looked on line for this heat treatment of bed bugs. It is a new process which raises temperature in house to 125 degrees. I have much room in my outside display tanks if it comes down to that. I strongly urge you to find chillers for the required two days.

Patrick

I suspect you will have a massive die off, and I don't think a chiller is going to do the job if the duplex is going to be as hot as you say. Chillers have to be able to exhaust heat in order to work, and it's my opinion that if the room is extremely hot, the chiller is going to work poorly, or not at all. IMHO, your only option is to remove everything you want to save............rock, corals fish, to a safe place where you can control the temperature. Most likely you will either get a hard cycle in the tank from the die off, or you will need to pull the sandbed, rinse it out, put it back and do a reset on the tank once this is over. Either way, I am betting you are going to get one devil of a cycle. Good luck, wish I was closer and could help you out.

Industrial/commercial chillers, when sized correctly, will more than handle 130 degree ambiant air temperatures in your 150 gallon tank. Both Hydro or I could size that for you.

Sherita, with respect to 130 degree air temperature, how does refrigeration work in the desert with those temperatures regularly. Think about it.

Patrick

Ok question, are both sides of the duplex being heated up or just your neighbors side? If its just the other side it really shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm assuming that you are treating your side too and that they temps around you tank will be 125. I would wrap the tank and stand in bubble radiant barrier material that you get at home depot, seal the seams with aluminum tape. Comes on a roll, do a good job with no gaps or cracks. That material will block 99% of the heat from effecting the tank. I have a 1hp jbj chiller that you can borrow, best thing to do it put it on the porch and run water lines to and from your tank. This way the chiller will operate efficiently and the radiant barrier will make a huge difference. I wouldn't move anything.

The radiant barrier is the key to this and is really important if you choose to leave the tank. Only problem is that the chiller is 220v, so you will need a plug for that.

• Like 2