Anyone keep these? - Difficult NPS

jaggedfire

Live Aquaria link:

http://www.liveaquar...+10&ddid=153125

I have these (I think!) on a rock that I purchased a few weeks back. They look like really small zoa's with a black outer 'shell' and awesome small maroon polyps. I had some trouble getting them to come out at first. I've never seen them before and was wondering if anyone else has.

I am attaching a photo of a small frag that dropped when I added. Behind it is some GSP for size reference. Sorry for the crappy phone pic and the algae on the glass.

post-2213-0-93558200-1336201477_thumb.jp

I thought they were zoas as they cover the rock in a mat of tissue. They have quite tiny polyps and the surrounding tissue is black, unlike anything I've seen. They didn't come out until I blasted them with flow and stirred up all the detritus off the rocks last night with the baster.

I am not sure I will be able to do these justice if they are NPS.

I've seen those before. They are beautiful. Do you have any small food like reef-roids or filter feeder food? Or see if they'll take cyclopeeze. Blowing off your rocks and stirring the sand near it will provide food too. Good luck with it!

I have been adding 3mL Phytoplex and Chromoplex every 2-3 days alternating each. I may need to up this and/or target these guys. I just moved a small pump ( Koralia nano) onto the larger colony to see if I can get them to show. It is really exciting to see something new....I love this hobby!

They are terrazoanthids. They are NPS, and can be very difficult to keep. In order to thrive, you will need to spot feed them several times a day with a zooplankton and phyto.

• 2 weeks later...

Kim,

I am to a degree. I upped the Phyto and started feeding the whole tank a bit heavier with frozen BS. This guy is sitting high and in high current. I can drop the Phyto right down on him and then on to the purple gorg under him. Doesn't sit on them long until the pump cycles on, but a few seconds seems to be enough.

post-2213-0-66967100-1337405076_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thank you Patrick and Tim. This one was bought on sight and I should have done more research, but what is out there sometimes is limited, even with my "Google-foo" skills :-) Sometimes you have to just try!

As with most all my new stuff, I end up experimenting for around a month in the tank until I find a light, feeding and flow (l/f/f)combo it likes as they don't all respond quickly. I have tried though to layout, (even in this small tank) a l/f/f for all to benefit and not upset the balance of the system.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...