Purple Tangs $100

kmmthree

Make sure you're careful. That Petco has had a history of Ich in their middle section of marine fish (not the "left" side, the but the 2 marine columns facing outward toward the store in the middle of the fish section.) I would recommend QT for sure.

I wouldn't buy any fish from that store fresh or salt just out of principle. Of all the petco's I've ever been into, that one has by far the poorest conditions of any I've ever seen.

Maybe I need to go back in. I've never seen any corals in there. Last time, there were some plagued blue and yellow tangs and a few clown fish. Every fish in there had some disease, although I didn't look close enough to try and identify.

The one in RR off of louis henna has started carrying zoa's n leathers. They had a war coral the other day. They switched all their gravel out to argonite and upped their filtration system from what they said. I still dont see how its going to work till the silicates are out of the substrate and some bacteria is established. Purple tangs seems a bit risky to me. Ive seen a ton of dead naso tangs in their tanks.

I stopped by the Brodie store several months ago and had a talk with the aquarium manager while there. He's a nice guy and he's been pushing to upgrade their system and practices. He is also the one behind the frag tank they're running. He's a member here, so I won't mention him by name. Please be fair in your comments, especially if you haven't been by there in some time. I wish that all the chain pet stores had employees who take such an interest in improving their offering.

• Like 2

I was down there the other day, and the tanks looked good and every fish I saw was healthy as far as I could tell, in fact I bought a sail fin. Besides, it's not like you can't go to any of LFS around here and see dead and sick fish. I went shopping at a reputable LFS down south yesterday and saw about 5. Give it a look, might surprise you. BTW....I don't work at Petco....lol

I stopped by the Brodie store several months ago and had a talk with the aquarium manager while there. He's a nice guy and he's been pushing to upgrade their system and practices. He is also the one behind the frag tank they're running. He's a member here, so I won't mention him by name. Please be fair in your comments, especially if you haven't been by there in some time. I wish that all the chain pet stores had employees who take such an interest in improving their offering.

I'm pretty sure I talked to the same guy. He seemed very excited about the changes he's made and the selection of fish he's bringing in. I certainly can't judge the fish since I still only know mainly about seahorses, but he had all the lights off since the fish were just new that day. I thought that was impressive. Also, I was buying a cheap damsel for my angler and he actually stopped to make sure I knew how aggressive they can be. That was a first! No one's ever even inquired about the conditions I was bringing a fish home to. Anyway, I was surprised.

• Like 1

In response the dead fish at LFS's, if you get to one on a day that shipments are received, it's common to see some major losses. I know of at least one that gets their shipments every Tuesday. Not to say it's a guarantee that's what you experienced, but when you get hundreds of fish in a shipment, you can usually expect some loss.

It's good to see that someone at that Petco is putting some effort into their aquarium section. That one especially since it's about 5 minutes down the road. I personally shop at independent local stores about 95% of the time. My biggest complaint with the super-stores isn't always the conditions, as they're sometimes very good, but allowing shoppers to buy whatever they think looks cool with total disregard for where the fish is going to end up. I know as a retailer, a sale is sometimes a sale, but I've seen some sales that are just downright unacceptable. I'm glad to hear they're taking interest in that as well. If a customer is buying an oscar and a goldfish bowl (which aren't large enough for gold fish either), someone should ask questions...

Really glad to hear about their new approach. Hope it works out. My fiancé was just telling me how her and her cousin were at Petco and how she was explaining some stuff to her cousins son. She was telling him about freshwater and saltwater and he was getting all into it. A lot of people start off at major petstores looking for a new hobby or something cool. If they make some changes, I think it would be great for the hobby.

I will stand up for the aquatics guys and say the 2 I have worked with are wonderful, knowledgeable, and reliable. He would do amazing at a LFS, and actually has a biology degree from UT (hook em!) He had intentionally TOLD and WARNED me not to buy from the middle 2 sections as he had been treating with FW dip on about 5 fish with ich in those sections, and all those columns ran on the same system/sump. So he was definitely looking out for the buyer, which I respect a great deal. That was last month. But, I believe in QT wherever you get a fish from. So thats just my opinion.

The petco on Brodie the male employee is great. Hes aware of some of the issues and the ones he has no control over. Hes let us know what we were buying that would be useless or a waste of money. The store is decent but this individual has his client base that come for him only. He introduced us to ARC and without him promoting we wouldn't be here. Thanks for the handful of teststrips and caring about your job and others and my hobby. Forgive my mistakes in grammer I'm on my kindle fire.

I too have spoken to the gentlemen mentioned at the Brodie petco. He is very nice and wants to treat customers like Aquadome or RCA or aquatek, but he can't. He his at the mercy of profits.

I worked at lowes as a part time plant expert. Customers asked for me. But I was "let go" because of profits. It's silly how that works. If petco would let some people go without a sale, I think it would pay off in the long run. But the brodie petco has come a long way.

Great price... but I would never want to worry about the water my fish have been in, and I QT...

Doesn't make sense to start off on the wrong foot to save a few bucks.

Man we were down in Sout Austin yesterday and decided to stop by Petco on Brodie... that place had the worst smell I've ever encountered.

We have two 60 lb dogs that sleep with us, so are used to pet smells... also been to every LFS in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas, so used to those smells as well.

My wife couldn't even stay in the store long enough to check the fish out. They did have a purple, but it had two ich spots and was in a tank where you could only see through maybe 30% of the front glass.

Guess you get what you pay for smile.png

BTW: If you ask/look around you can find a purple for just a little bit more money in nice condition. I'll be getting one in the next 2-3 weeks btw...

Edited by offshore

• 1 month later...