Canopy

Drew Mendez WTR

Remember, if you enclose the top of the tank, there will not be much vapor exchange going on and you will end up with a high C02 content in your water. Will be hard to maintain ph if you do this. Low PH will cause all kinds of algae outbreaks...

I have 2 powerheads, a protein skimmer on a mag12 and the eheim. My concern is right now I have my 48" Lights strung across on the top supported my two sturdy bars longer than the width. My place has like so studs where I could hang

Lots of salt creep and with alot of water dripping in its splashing away.

A canopy will cut down on evaporation, but will also lead to an increase in temperature. My 90g loses about a gallon a day.

Are you currently running an auto-topoff with a reservoir to replace the water that evaporates?

The other option other than a canopy would be a piece of glass cut to fit the top (maybe partial coverage instead of full)? The solana's come with a glass top that is full size but sits on risers that allow airflow but still protect from jumping fish.

Check out www.autotopoff.com You don't really want to put any top on it and if you don't already have one you'll want an ATO to keep your tank stable since the more evaporation that happens then the higher the salinity rises.

As for studs you can get dry wall ancors rated at up to 150+ which is what I use to hang my lights.

I went to Lowes and was looking at Acrylic in 24x48 sheet So I could slow down the splashing and evap.

The problem is when it gets wet and heats up it bends. there is a glass brace that runs on top that would help support it.

My lighting situation is 1 48" ballast with 4xT8s Coral Sun, Plant Growth and 2 reg flourscents.

and 1 48" ballast with a Actinic and Ocean Sun bulb T8

I have fish only right now and I know I need to upgrade.

So maybe a 24x48 sheet of glass and the 6 inches on each side would still be open and fine for all the return lines etc. I dont have a ATO, bc I dont have a RO Water unit YET as of now I'm just adding water as needed and checking salinity.

Don't do acrylic. I made that mistake. It's only been a little over a month, and it's already shrinked and has bent. I was worried about constatly removing the glass and breaking it, but I will be going this route. I left some room in the back for accessories, and I haven't lost any fish. It works great for water evaporation though. I only cover it when I'm not around or at night.

• Like 1

I lose 5 gallons a day in my 250 gallon system. It's two tanks plumbed together so there is a big surface area. Covering the top won't stop the evaporation. If anything it would just heat up the tank more and cause you to have some die off. Also there won't be any gas exchange thus suffocating your fish.

An auto top-off is probably your best option.