Difference Between Palythoa and Zoanthid

George Monnat Jr

I was following a Reef Central thread where people where arguing back-and-forth about what was a paly and what was a zoa. I have no idea and wanted to learn, so I just observed (and looked at pretty pictures). I was just reading Julian Sprung's book, Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide, and noticed these quotes that others might find interesting. (any typos are probably mine)

Palythoa

Common Name: False Coral' date=' Colonial Anemones

[b']Description[/b]: Anemone-like polyps imbedded in a common tissue (coenenchyme) that is slimy but with a sand-paper-like texture due to entrapped sand grains.

Palythoa (formerly known as Protopalythoa)

Common Name: Button Polyps' date=' Zoanthids, False Coral, Colonial Anemones

[b']Description[/b]: Colonies consisting of clusters of separate anemone-like polyps connected at their point of attachment with the substrate, but not imbedded in a common tissue.

Similar: Zoanthus spp. are not usually slimy, don't trap sand grains, and have blunter tentacles.

So it looks like a square/rectangle deal where all zoas are palys and only some palys are zoas. I'm still trying to wait a few more months to start getting them, but I'm getting antsy.

Well, palys have thier own toxin so they'll get you quicker than zoas grin.png I'm sure the taxonomy of the order Zoantharia still needs a lot of work. With 7 families and 16 genus and potentially hundreds of species there's probably only a few experts that can identify individual species correctly. (And my guess is they probably all have toxins to some extent.) Considering the resources the average hobbyest has Sprungs identifiers are accurate enough I think.

If you're keeping fish and shrimp in there, I wouldn't be afraid of zoas. palys, protopalys, or even LPS or softies in there. They're probably a heck of a lot more durable than the fish and shrimp. As long as the tank has cycled, has good lighting, and is somewhat stable, you shouldn't have any problem with them. Definitely take it slow, but you should be ok now.

Thanks to both of you.

I've had shrimp for months without any losses. I had a green BTA disappear into the LR about a month ago. Haven't noticed an ammonia spike, but I assume it's dead. My yellow BTA is growing and healthy, and my RBTA and new Maxi-Mini and Mini Carpet Anemones look ok. I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how they do. Then I'll jump in the deep pool by getting some interesting things for the Sexy Shrimp to climb on.

oh yes i've had an 18" rbta nose dive a tank before it was not fun. i woke up and it pretty much killed EVERYTHING except the fish. i don't know how they made it honestly.

back to subject thought, zoas ime are typically shorter stocked blunt tentacles, palys usually are taller more frilly tentacles. then there's the Parazoanthus gracilis which can be shallow to DEEP water zoas some reports have them at depths of up to 4-5000 ft some attached to gorgonians.

Well, palys have thier own toxin so they'll get you quicker than zoas grin.png I'm sure the taxonomy of the order Zoantharia still needs a lot of work. With 7 families and 16 genus and potentially hundreds of species there's probably only a few experts that can identify individual species correctly. (And my guess is they probably all have toxins to some extent.) Considering the resources the average hobbyest has Sprungs identifiers are accurate enough I think.

I can vouch for palys having their own toxin. I got tired of my blue/green ones growing on everything so I spent the other day removing them from the rock. Some of the rock I took out of the tank first, others I just had to use tweezers to get the palys off. I left the palys in a container in the tank overnight - cause I wanted to mount them - the next morning 1/2 of the sps I had in the tank had bleached. I put my hand in to move things around and the water stung! Not fun and Not cool. I did a bunch of water changes so things are settling back to normal now, but I lost at least one chalice and maybe my meteor shower :(

The main distinction I've always made is in size. I think of palys as having a much larger disk. Is this incorrect?

I can vouch for palys having their own toxin. I got tired of my blue/green ones growing on everything so I spent the other day removing them from the rock. Some of the rock I took out of the tank first, others I just had to use tweezers to get the palys off. I left the palys in a container in the tank overnight - cause I wanted to mount them - the next morning 1/2 of the sps I had in the tank had bleached. I put my hand in to move things around and the water stung! Not fun and Not cool. I did a bunch of water changes so things are settling back to normal now, but I lost at least one chalice and maybe my meteor shower sad.png

The main distinction I've always made is in size. I think of palys as having a much larger disk. Is this incorrect?

Running some good carbon would help too I would think, if you're not already. I hope things bounce right back for you!