Network stability issues

Ok, so I went through the unofficial guide and followed it to a T but having network stability issues. Some times I just loose connectivity to the apex via web interface. If I go over to the display, it shows my ip address(lan) and if I log into the router, it shows the mac addy of both the gaming adapter and the AC in the wireless client log. I sent an email to neptune and they confirmed that I should see both the gaming adapter mac and the mac of the apex in the router log. I didnt think that was normal but they do....who knows. Anyways, when it looses connectivity, I have to restart the network server on the apex and then it starts working again. However I have noticed that one of the led on my netgear gaming adapter lights up orange instead of green. If I unplug it and let it cycle, they all go to green and all is well. So far, I havent had a problem with getting the wireless gaming adapter to connect to my router but the apex is a whole diff story.

For you guys that have the sig.....do you have dhcp enabled in the apex? Ive read about turning it off and setting an IP manually in the apex thats outside of the routers ip table. like 192.168.0.250 or so. Right now, my router has DHCP enabled and is issuing ip's like 192.168.0.14-18. My PS3, WII, 2 laptops, evo, and iphone all connect without problems. Nothing is lan jacked into the router, all is wireless. What gaming adapters are you using? Im using the wnce2001 netgear. Looks like the orange is for "good" signal. Weird when I power cycle it, it shows green for a while then swaps to orange. Think I will move the router into the living room.

Can you elaborate? In the gaming adapter, do I need to do anything for it to recognize the ip I set in the AC? So assuming leave DHCP on in the router. It will issue IP to the gaming adapter but from there? Ive done networking stuff before and never had the problem. Im starting to think its just a problem with the AC since if I reboot the web server it works just fine even with the same IP that the router has handed out. I was under the impression that the gaming adapter would issue the ip to the AC and that it would be a gate between the AC and router. Seems odd that the router can even see the AC. For the port that I use to access via remote web interface, what IP do you forward it to? The gaming adapter or the IP you set manually in the APEX?

It's been a while since I set it up, but here's what I remember doing:

1) To configure my gaming router I had to hard wire it to my main router during initial setup.

2) I set the gaming router to have a fixed IP #.

3) I made sure that the fixed IP#s for both the gaming router and the one I was using for the controller were not in the DHCP range for my main router. (though both addresses are in the same subnet)

4) I unplugged form the main router and moved the gaming router to it's location by the tank.

5) I plugged the controller into the gaming router.

6) I punched a hole in my firewall which redirects all external requests for port 8080 to my controller.

7) I setup NoIP on my main computer and registered a free hostname pointing to the external IP of my home network.

You do *not* typically want DHCP enabled on the apex. You want it to be the same forever and ever, because if you use DDNS to connect to your apex from outside your network (ie your iphone) you have to use port forwarding to take a port number and forward it to a specific IP. If your apex keeps getting new IP addresses every time it connects, your router won't know what IP address to send the request from the port to.

I'm not using a game adapter, I'm using a linksys WRT54g2 that has DDWRT on it. It's in wireless bridge mode.

This sounds to me like more of a configuration issue on the gaming adapter than on the router or the apex. Give static-ip a try and see if that resolves it. I've noticed that since iphones constantly get on/off the network that if you use DHCP, sometimes there is some confusion amongst devices and subsequently stuff doesn't work correctly.

yeah, my GF iphone kept stealing the ip for the laptop every time she connected. I figured it was the router and had suddenlink replace it. The router should not be issuing the same IP to two different mac addys. I'll plug the gaming adapter back into the laptop and go through it and see if I can disable the DHCP. The guide says to let the gaming adapter issue an ip to the apex but it seems the router is doing this instead! I havent navigated all the menus with it as I was just following the unofficial guide. Its weird though, my apex always has 192.168.0.16 via DHCP and even when its shown to be connected to the router in the wireless client list, I still cannot connect to it at times via web browser. If I restart the web server, it keeps the .16 ip and then connects no problem. Weird.

just to be safe, I turn off DHCP on the gaming adapter (or in my couse router) AND turn on DHCP on the APEX in addition to issuing it a static IP.

Another trick is that you can just type in apex into the address bar and it should search for your apex and find it.

What I ended up doing was to manually connect the APEX via ethernet to my router first to do all the setup. That way you can have your options set before you try to tackle the wireless interface part, which is in myopinion the worst part. They really should be integrating wifi into the unit. I'd be willing to bet the next revision has it built in.

I did the same thing, it loaded the ip/dns/subnet/gateway so that was fine. Then bought a gaming adapter and its been hell ever since then. Im thinking there is too much DHCP going on...Going to disable dhcp in both of them, set separate IP's out of the dhcp range and redo the port work. This Should help. im not worried so much about the dynamic part, I can get the app that updates noip but need to figure out this other mess first. Cant even connect to the apex on the lan sometimes which is weird since i know the ip, see it connected to router, and using right port, just times out. Reboot the web server and bang it works fine.

About 2 weeks ago. this apex is practically brand new. I found out my router uses 10-29 for DHCP so set my gaming router to 30 and my apex to 31 and both of them immediatley connected without issue. So will have to see hwo it fares tomorrow over the web. Seems to be working fine. If I can keep it up and running for a couple days, I'll set up the sig thing. Already created an account, just havent set up the connection. Also, it appears my router does not support DDNS so will have to set up the app on this laptop. All the led are green on the gaming adapter now so thats a good sign!

Its some aris one from suddenlink. Modem/Router/wireless all in one. Well that didnt fix it. Still times out. Was working fine last night and now no beuno....Unless my IP changed, which I doubt...the apex base unit is what the problem is.

Apparently, using the aquanotes app, it taxes out the webserver on the apex to the point of locking up...or so Ive read. I did notice I was having all kinds of problems after installing it on my EVO. I removed it and going to see what happens. Neptune knows about the problem already and Im one out of about 20-30 people that have had this problem. I did notice that my primary dns server were set to the gateway addy which isnt right so fixed them and also pointed my apex gateway addy to the gaming adapter instead of the router's lan IP. Fingers crossed....working on the sig thing now...what a pain.

Ok even more mess. I talked with Paul at Neptune and have a scheduled tech assist session with them regarding the network issues. However it got even worse today. COULD NOT CONNECT FOR SQUAT. Even rebooting the web server, rebooting the router, gaming adapter, checking all settings, and all ports and still NO REMOTE CONNECT......so set up tech apt with Paul and then proceeded to doing an online chat with suddenlink....well they were blocking the port I was using as of this morning. They did however give me a list of ports that they do NOT block so I can fix it when I get home in the next hour. Talk about pulling my hair out. could connect on the LAN but not remotely like I did before. Im going to use a port 80 redirect and have it forwarded so I dont even have to use a port in the dns addy. Let my dns do all the work. Now the hard part is to work around port 23 being blocked (telnet). Paul wants to do a firmware reflash on the AC but Im willing to bet it will natively look at port 23. Hoping he can get around that. He agrees, there is a software problem on my AC but today it was my sneaky little ISP doing all the damage....dang I miss time warner cable...

Archived