I need to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting a controller as I leave for over a week at the end of the month to visit in-laws. Do I need anything in addition to the Apex Controller itself? I plan on getting a container, pump and float switches from AutoTopoff.com to control with the Apex for ATO. Really ATO is my big concern and maybe water leak detection as a secondary concern. I don't know if the pH probe on my PINPOINT pH Monitor can be used, otherwise it's $32 for one. Is there anything else I'll need?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has helped me out a ton on my nano. Granted I posted my apex jr on Craigslist today, that's only because I'm usin a more advanced system for a larger tank. I can't imagine a tank without one now.

Heat / light cut offs save me time and time again.

• 7 months later...

I want to resurrect this thread because I'm wondering the same thing. I'm putting together a 75 gal that'll be mostly lps and fish. I have ai sols (that have a controller) and plan on adding a bml strip to fill in the missing colors. Besides that, a couple power heads, ato, refugium light, return pump, skimmer, maybe the wavebox I have, and that's all I can think of right now. I don't run heaters and don't anticipate a chiller with the leds. My tiny nanos stay just the right temp without heaters/chillers, so I'm assuming this much bigger tank won't need them either (right?). Not planning on any fancy reactors, but probably one with gfo and/or carbon.

As for the power heads, I'm almost sure I'm going to get 2 controllable tunze ones. So I need to decide to get the tunze controller or spend a little more and get an apex or similar.

So with that list of equipment, what's your opinion? I really don't know anything about them except what I've read in this thread. Mostly I find them very very confusing. I like to keep things simple but I'm doing my best to set this tank up right from the start rather than upgrade down the road and waste all that money replacing stuff.

Thanks!

I didn't get one until I had to travel and needed to set up an ATO. I use my Apex for three main things: ATO, temperature control and remote monitoring. The ATO uses float switches and pH for input (pH because I add lime to my top-off RODI), and for temperature the thermometers are inputs to turn on/off the fans and heaters. I could've used a separate ATO system and a chiller, but I like to be able to check up on my system via the internet. When I'm traveling I must have the ability to check on it or receive warning emails. That's saved my tank a couple of times while traveling or at work, so I consider my Apex as already paying for itself.

I didn't get one until I had to travel and needed to set up an ATO. I use my Apex for three main things: ATO, temperature control and remote monitoring. The ATO uses float switches and pH for input (pH because I add lime to my top-off RODI), and for temperature the thermometers are inputs to turn on/off the fans and heaters. I could've used a separate ATO system and a chiller, but I like to be able to check up on my system via the internet. When I'm traveling I must have the ability to check on it or receive warning emails. That's saved my tank a couple of times while traveling or at work, so I consider my Apex as already paying for itself.

What can you check over the internet regarding your ato?

I can see my pH levels (go up as the ATO adds limewater, or pickling lime and RODI mix) and if the ATO pump is turned on or off. If the pump is left on for more than about 30 seconds, then I know it's sucking air or mechanically failed.

I plan on adding a 'water-on-floor' sensor to my Apex, too. I'll use that to shut off the skimmer, GFO/GAC RX, UV sterilizer and ATO. In other words, the things that could be pumping water onto my floor.

I can see my pH levels (go up as the ATO adds limewater, or pickling lime and RODI mix) and if the ATO pump is turned on or off. If the pump is left on for more than about 30 seconds, then I know it's sucking air or mechanically failed.

I plan on adding a 'water-on-floor' sensor to my Apex, too. I'll use that to shut off the skimmer, GFO/GAC RX, UV sterilizer and ATO. In other words, the things that could be pumping water onto my floor.

A water on the floor sensor!? I can certainly see the value in that!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You can see if it's "stuck" on, or it can notify you if it's been running too long (ie your ATO is empty, overflowing, etc).

That makes sense. Thanks! How does it notify you? An email or something? And the tank isn't near a place to connect it to the internet. Are there other options?

You can see if it's "stuck" on, or it can notify you if it's been running too long (ie your ATO is empty, overflowing, etc).

That makes sense. Thanks! How does it notify you? An email or something? And the tank isn't near a place to connect it to the internet. Are there other options?

I have mine set up for text messages, but you can do text messages or emails. If you get the unit display, it can also sound an alarm. You can set up a wireless gaming adapter (maybe $25-50) to connect it wirelessly.

I thought about an apex but they are a little too expensive for my taste.

I will be building my own following Capt. Obvious' Info http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/25659-lets-make-a-controller-and-other-fun-uses-for-arduino/

I am more worried about losing power which happens more often than I'd like. I should be getting a couple free UPCs to help that issue though.

I currently run a 7092 controller ($79)on just one of my tunze pumps, the 6055 since it's controllable ($234) and a 6045 non controllable one ($93)

The 6045 non controllable I have at the top of my tank so it's always agitating the top and the controllable turns off and on every few seconds.

If I had to do it again and was in your position and had to buy pumps and was deciding on a controller I would definately pass on the apex and just get a wireless mp40

When I get my yearly bonus at the end of this fiscal year I'm definately getting one for my new 90.

I thought about an apex but they are a little too expensive for my taste.

I will be building my own following Capt. Obvious' Info http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/25659-lets-make-a-controller-and-other-fun-uses-for-arduino/

I am more worried about losing power which happens more often than I'd like. I should be getting a couple free UPCs to help that issue though.

I currently run a 7092 controller ($79)on just one of my tunze pumps, the 6055 since it's controllable ($234) and a 6045 non controllable one ($93)

The 6045 non controllable I have at the top of my tank so it's always agitating the top and the controllable turns off and on every few seconds.

If I had to do it again and was in your position and had to buy pumps and was deciding on a controller I would definately pass on the apex and just get a wireless mp40

When I get my yearly bonus at the end of this fiscal year I'm definately getting one for my new 90.

Expensive, no doubt. But how much would you estimate your livestock is worth? If it's worth more than the apex, i sleep better knowing that an engineer has put an apex through it's paces. No knock on Capt. Obvious, but making a bullet proof controller is no easy task, and there are all kinds of gremlins lurking around that have the propensity to make things go very wrong. It's all about risk tolerance.

True but an apex isn't foolproof and relying on something that heavily is always asking for trouble. George is currently having issues with his and has had a bunch of stuff die on him. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/26210-hatin-apex-this-morning/#entry194128

Plus you need backup power for the apex then backup power for your internet.

One day maybe I'll get one but for now I'd sleep sound at night when i'm away for an extended weekend by relying on my friends here on ARC and neighbor to feed and check on my tank.

Most of my issues are due to relying on conductivity probes instead of using a refractometer. I did have a problem with my Apex stopping data logging after daylight savings and possibly causing a snow storm, but without the logs my Apex is basically pleading the 5th.

Most of my issues are due to relying on conductivity probes instead of using a refractometer. I did have a problem with my Apex stopping data logging after daylight savings and possibly causing a snow storm, but without the logs my Apex is basically pleading the 5th.

THAT is some high quality programming :P

Okay, so assuming I'm going to get an apex, it sounds like different parts of it are optional. Can anyone suggest what to buy according to my tank equipment list?

since it sounds like you want to be able to dim, go with the full apex. if you go with the lite (or jr, cant remember, whatever the mid range is), you have to buy an addon to control dimming. if you want to control ATO or add other switches (water on the floor is the most useful), you need a breakout box. neptune makes one, but many just have them made by someone enterprising with soldering skills (bio3 I'm looking at you!). finally, you'll need a wireless gaming adapter and pH/Temp probes if they're not included with the package you're buying.

Archived