Pics of my new maxi-minis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are pros and cons to government work. The govt work is much more monotonous but alot less of a grind (business development, finance, etc). As a trade, the pay is probably 60% of what you make in consulting. Where do you work Kim ?

Now I work my butt off at home raising a boy :D During and after school I worked for the Ag Extension Service doing plant pathology. Working for the govt, haha, but I had several close friends go to either TCEQ or private firms. Once I moved to Austin I was at the DSHS, also the govt, and I have to agree with victoly.

Gig'em, I work in environmental consulting as well. You missed our first round of hiring this year, we picked up a T-sip and a couple of Rice folks. I was at the A&M career fair at Rudder looking for perspective graduates this past Spring. We're looking to expand in the Austin office but we probably won't be hiring anymore until the Fall I would imagine. Send me your resume if you want as well and I'll hang on to it for the next round of hiring.

I have a friend at the TCEQ as well. He says way more boring but a lot less stressful and also less travel. Of course, it helps that his wife makes good money so he's not there for the money.

-Ty

Which career fair were you at?! The engineering one? I missed the engineering career fair, but I went to the Ag and Life Sciences career fair and got several offers from companies there, none were what I wanted to do and there weren't any environmental companies. I guess I chose the wrong career fair thumbsdown.gif

Gig'em, I work in environmental consulting as well. You missed our first round of hiring this year, we picked up a T-sip and a couple of Rice folks. I was at the A&M career fair at Rudder looking for perspective graduates this past Spring. We're looking to expand in the Austin office but we probably won't be hiring anymore until the Fall I would imagine. Send me your resume if you want as well and I'll hang on to it for the next round of hiring.

I have a friend at the TCEQ as well. He says way more boring but a lot less stressful and also less travel. Of course, it helps that his wife makes good money so he's not there for the money.

-Ty

RIghteous! I'm with RSA. Lots of small shops and big boys. Austin is a great place to be if environmental is your profession. Of course you won't be in town much (I'm in Ranger , TX next week and Texas City, TX the week after that). OH BOY!

yeah PM your email address and I'll send it to you.

I am thinking about attempting to split them manually and sell their clones. I'm pretty sure it's easy to do with minis because I have seen online stores that propagate their minis and sell the clones. Do you feed yours anything? I've tried little pieces of scallops, but my greedy hermits always snatch it away too quickly.

One of the reasons I've become very interested is because of this article:

Mini-Carpets: The Perfect Small Sea Anemones?

Here's the relevant paragraph to this discussion:

One of the coolest things about Maxi-mini anemones is that they can be propagated easily. You can cut a Maxi-mini anemone in half with a sharp razor, soak the two pieces briefly in an iodine/saltwater solution, and place them in your tank. Within 3-5 weeks you will have two perfect little anemones, and the mortality rate is very low. On their own, they also will reproduce asexually, dividing by fission (splitting).

I am still trying to capture all the different colors of this mini, I can't believe these guys aren't as popular as I would think, so much more variation in colors than any other anemone species. I guess the fact that they don't get very big is a turn off for most...

P1060599.jpg

Great colors, what the approx dimensions of the one pictured two posts above?

I may need to purchase another anemone. tongue.png

It's about 2 1/5 inches right now. In the morning they are usually expanded to around 3 - 3 1/2 inches. I don't mind the small size, it allows me to make a nice little garden of nems in a small space. I plan on getting more and just filling the bottom side of my tank

Wowza. Outstanding. I think part of it may be on the marketing end. I.e. you can't start a zoa-like collecting craze because the color-morphs don't seem to be as persistent. Just a guess.

Yeah that's true, I really haven't seen many that are the exact same. Maybe some similar color combinations, but most are very unique individuals.

I am still trying to capture all the different colors of this mini, I can't believe these guys aren't as popular as I would think, so much more variation in colors than any other anemone species. I guess the fact that they don't get very big is a turn off for most...

Great pic. I think they're less popular, because they don't host clowns. Lots of people only want an anemone for a clown.