What is this? Algae? Diatoms? Something else?

afgun

Looks pretty neat. Nice picture. Before dealing with it, it would be good to know what it is exactley. Has it done anything bad in your tank? If not, then why not learn more about it as you observe it.

Patrick

Help describe what are we looking at. We who know nothing about your tank and its inhabitants need some background. In the right hand side of the picture is a feathr duster crown. Immediately above the duster looks to be purple gorgonian. Prior to it, what would have been in the picture?

Patrick

Sorry for the lack of explaination. We have a mostly fish & LR tank with a few frags and corals and a large cleanup crew. The growth is greenish-brown tendrils that are soft and slimy; they detach or break easily and spread about the tank when disturbed by fish or human. They started on a rock in the bottom of the tank and have since spread and now are growing primarily on the 2 gorgonians, but are also attached to some LR. Dinoflagellates? As in this RHF article? http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

Could be dinos. If so, you'll need a multifaceted plan of attack. I beat them with massive water changes and a 3 day blackout, followed by a week of actinics only while dosing hydrogen peroxide.I also ran carbon in a reactor throughout, cut my fish feeding to every three days, and did another massive water change afterwards. Dinos can be resilient, so you often can't beat them without going all-out. Good luck!

Thanks; I started today with a water change and siphoning off a lot of them until my back couldn't stand bending over any more. I will repeat for the next several days, reduce feeding and should probably reduce lighting period.

I have seen recos for carbon and other stuff...