Bug bombing

Robb in Austin

We've got a case of fleas. Treated the yard, treated the animals, now we need to treat the house. I've nuked the house before, but the tanks(FW/SW) were sumpless, and not had trouble with covering the tops with towels. Now the SW tank has a sump and I'm curious how to do it. Anyone done it? How?

I'd be really scared to do it with a tank with an air pump or open top. You would pretty much need to seal the thing.

How long do you need to vacate the house? A lot of plastic wrap and shutting of all skimmers and air pumps comes to mind.

I have done this before with a FW tank as well, but still I wrapped it in plastic sheets and taped it closed as much as possible to prevent air flow into it. You may even want to have a second covering over the sump for additional protection... Make sure lights stay off during the fuming so heat isn't an issue. I would also turn off any skimmers and air pumps as well. I would just have my circulation pumps and return pump running, everything else off.

Man, I would be scared to even try. If I *had* to do it, I would shut off skimmers, return pumps, anything that sucks air, then seal the tanks with two layers of plastic duct taped at all the seams.

Honestly, I think I would call an exterminator rather than bomb. I dealt with a bug infestation a couple years ago. My house was sprayed with a product that produces no odors, and he was very careful around the tanks and the birds. I had no losses. I had to get the dogs and cats out of the house for two hours, so I moved them into the travel trailer. One treatment was all it took, and it was well worth the money spent for the peace of mind. Having a professional do it made me rest much easier, since he was well aware of the fact that I had expensive fish and even more expensive birds.

Robb,

Though it wasn't a bug bomb we did re-paint the house. I just covered the tank with blankets, turned off all filtration and power heads, lights, just kept the return. With no ill effects. I would turn everything off except your return and wrap your tank/stand in plastic. After the bomb is done, open all your windows if you have fans I would have them draw the fumes away from the tank. Leave plastic wrap on until you feel comfortable unwrapping.

The key is to keep the fumes from entering the tank. By sealing in plastic it should be ok, at least this is what I would do if needed.

Dave-

I've watched a tank be prepped for a professional house bomb, the kind where they tent the house.

They just made a tent for the tank. They took some plastic sheeting and draped it over the tank and down to the floor. It was taped down with duct tape to the the hardwood. For carpets they said they use these long socks that are filled with beans or sand and wrap them around the tank.

Depending upon the duration time, you'd have to leave your lights out and possibly find a way to keep the tank cool, a chiller won't work as the heat from the exhaust will be trapped under the tarp. You might be able to use a drop in chiller if you tape the pass through opening well.

When the chiggers, aka "Red Bugs", and the fleas come into the home, it is time to make war. Rob, it sounds like you have much ammunition to deal with it. As an aid for outside prevention, I have surrounded my home with a thick cedar mulch bed. In my case, the offending critters were scorpions. They came down thru the attick insulation. The exterminating company took out all wall sockets and light switch covers and filled side walls with pesticides, covers were installed immediately after spray was injected. This past summer, I shredded up cedar on 1/3 of an acre. The pile is bigger than a 20' diameter circle over 10' high. During the three years that I have been using cedar mulch, the insect prevention aspect has been included in the last year or so on the bags which I buy at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Happy hunting,

Patrick

I've done it before and didn't have any problems. You can always get some plastic sheets if you're concerned and make a "kill room" type area ("Dexter" reference) that is just your aquarium. It'd seal it all out.