gulf coast crabs

Joe.kool

I just got back from the coast and was wondering, can i put the little hermit crab looking guys in my tank at home. If so what about other stuff like the snails and will the snails clean my tank like a Turbo snail?????((just wondering))

I have one in my 28gal and he's never hurt anything. (Been in the 28 for 6 months or so and was in a 20gal holding tank for 3+months prior)

Never picked at any corals or messed with any fish. He actually hasn't even killed my smaller hermits.

His shell is a little bigger than a golfball.

Your mileage may vary.

I never had any luck with the whitish hermits from the coast but the species with pale bluish strips running lenghtwise down thier legs are good algae eaters and comical to watch. They are clumsy and will fall on stuff and will dislodge stuff that's not fixed so they're not for every tank. I haven't had good long term success with any of the snails either but it's been a long time since I tried so don't let that stop you from trying. I wouldn't try more than one or two initially though and I wouldn't consider keeping them successful unless they lived a year or more.

On a good day you can come home with lots of pipefish, seahorses, and frogfish (sargassum anglers), triggers, look down fish, sargent major damsels, rock anemones, peppermint shrimp, limpets, chitons, nudibranchs, and more.

I have never seen any seahorses or nudibranchs from the Texas Coast before, have any pictures to share?

I don't have any pictures but we caught them during a MAAST outing about 5 years ago. There are pictures buried on this site and that site. The nudi's live in the sargassum flotsam that rolls in, that's where the angler/frog fish come from. All kinds of triggers and seahorses also come in on that stuff. You can also find seahorses and pipe fish in the salt marshes around the coast in the knee deep water. We floated kayaks and got out a little from land. We were also able to get pipe fish in the surf using our large seine net we took. We gave all the horses and pipe fish to a teacher that was there with us. I finally had to give my trigger away as it was growing fast and eating holes through my other fish. The sargassum nudi's don't make it in the tnak as they seem to need the sagassum to live and I've not met anyone that was capable of keeping the macro alive for any period of time. A sargassum tnak would be awesome.

I can not tell what it is that I am looking at in the above picture.

If you get involved with shrimp trawling, you would have also seen a fish that the locals call a "Sea Robin". It is a very unique looking fish with a large mouth and head that accounts for almost 2/3 of body size. Below the pectorial fins is what I call "the lunar landing legs". Three on each side, which allows for walking along the bottom. Be aware, that most of these native fish have something which would interfere with being in a community fish tank. This guy eats his tank mates and has obnoxious toxins similiar to a catfish on its spines. A good choice for a predator brackish lagoon. I also like Scats and Puffers, of which several types would be available. But he would eat your crab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_robin

Patrick

The juvenile Sea Robins are really pretty to watch swim. In their latin name is a reference to the pectoral fin being likened to a bird in flight. I can attest, that when viewed from below, the color refraction shows changing color patterens similiar to butterflys being translucant with a brite while light behind them. Being likened to a bird in flight as riding the water currents and gliding is an acurate description of this native fish.