Polishing scratches in glass

Hydro

I got a 250 gallon aquarium with a busted bottom. Even though I'm just going to use it as a QT I didn't like that the glass was scratched really bad.

post-1255-0-76927300-1332296073_thumb.jp

I thought about replacing the front panel but the best price I got was $450 but most quotes came in around $850, just wasn't worth it. I looked on google to see if there was anyone that polished glass scratches and I found a company, accent resurfacing right here in Austin.

This glass was scratched like you wouldn't believe, every sq in had a scratch. Some of them were 4-5" long and you could catch your finger nail in them if you rubbed it across. Its big piece of glass too 7' long x 28" tall, 3/4" and heavy as hell. I warned him over the phone that it was bad and he quoted me $100 to resurface it if I brought it to him, which when he saw it I think he regretted such a low bid. He did it anyway for that price and it looks perfect now. I didn't even know it was possible to take out scratches that deep. Anyways here is the website in case anyone needs anything like that.

http://www.accentglassresurfacing.com/index.php

After

post-1255-0-93042400-1332296324_thumb.jp

Do you know if he just does glass panels or can he work on an aquarium?

....sorry, just read this on their site:

"Aquariums - $150 minimum for empty, movable tanks. Stationary tanks require a custom bid"

"Aquariums - $150 minimum for empty, movable tanks. Stationary tanks require a custom bid"

I bet if you took it to him, and it was easy to work on, he might do it for less but I don't know for sure. He told me that almost all the time they go to you.

He uses a large grinder and and several stages of polishing discs. He said that the trick is feathering the edges of the grinding so there isn't distortion and not heating up the glass which can break it.

What's cool is if someone wanted some scratches removed you can empty the tank in to some tubs, have him polish it on site, and put everything back in the same day.

• Like 1

It happens when you use the magnet cleaner. Sand or coraline algae gets stuck underneath the cleaning pad and then you scrub your glass with it. You have to be really careful when you get near the sand.

So much for the people arguing for acrylic over glass because they can always polish-out the scratches with acrylic.

Good point!

I have an idea that I'm going to discuss with him that would allow for polishing a tank with water in it. I'lll see if he thinks its possible.

It happens when you use the magnet cleaner. Sand or coraline algae gets stuck underneath the cleaning pad and then you scrub your glass with it. You have to be really careful when you get near the sand.

And iron, there's a lot of iron in sand. I always replace the pad on my floating magnets with velcro. Leaving about a 1/4" around the sides catches a lot of stuff before it gets under the bad and as it's thicker and looser it takes a larger particle to get pushed up against the glass to scratch it. I also change the color, I like green as it shows both white sand and black rust particles.

And iron, there's a lot of iron in sand. I always replace the pad on my floating magnets with velcro. Leaving about a 1/4" around the sides catches a lot of stuff before it gets under the bad and as it's thicker and looser it takes a larger particle to get pushed up against the glass to scratch it. I also change the color, I like green as it shows both white sand and black rust particles.

Good idea and good to know. I'm going to try that, I cringe everytime I use mine because I have scratched my glass a couple times.

Patent the idea first. wink.png

Unfortunately I've learned the hard way that patents are usually worthless, its sad actually. I could go on and on about that.....

I told him about my idea and thinks it might work! I think I can make the tool fairly easy, there will just be a couple of things to figure out. I've got to get a few other projects before I can even look at this. Hopefully I can get something to work and post some results. I really hope to use it to fix a few scracthes in my tank.

Hmmm....if you can do the polishing while the tank is still set up definitely let me know! ill pay ya to come up here and do all my tanks. With the exception of one, all my tanks were used and have scratches, and one has a crappy haze to it too.