Looking for advice

Nwehrman

I am thinking of starting a small reef tank again...had a 75 gallon one FOWLR probably about 10 years or more ago. I still have had freshwater tanks but just feel drawn to salt again. Only thinking to do 30 gallon or less (more affordable - now that I am a stay at home mom of two) so what would you start with....

I was looking at a used bio cube maybe? Any other thoughts? Just trying to keep cost down and go slow also.

I do have RO water at my house! I have discus also. In the middle of setting up a fish room for them, but was thinking of a mini salt display in house with my 150 gallon planted display.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of set up you invest in should be dictated by what type of color and what type/how many fish you want to keep. PC lighting is not appropriate for SPS, but a halide over a small tank can cause heat issues. You can't have a tang in a smaller tank. etc. etc. etc. You might want to take a look at some of the member tanks in the tank build threads here and on other forums (Nano-Reef, Reef Central, Reef Addicts, etc.) and see what you like. I'm sure plenty of members would be happy to have you come over and check out their tanks and explain their set-ups, maintenance, etc.

• Like 1

You can always start out with a bio thats reefready and have a fowler since the jump to corals and a stable tank can take time and money. You should be able to snag a lot of common corals for free or very low from other ARC. My vote is for LEDs.

May I suggest a 29G high tank. It would be an appropiate size for a Jaubert plenumn. In my opinion, for long term health and low start-up cost as well as less maintenance, the Jaubert plenumn will provide nitrification and denitrification using bacteria in the substrate. No matter what route you take, the Jaubert plenumn would provide a balanced low tech/low cost ecosystem.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

This link provides background informatin on low tech reef keeping. Chuck prefers deep sand beds with a finer substrate that favors micro fauna and fana. Both processes work. It is very important for you to select the biotype that you want for your tank. Either pick a biotype or a pivital species. Once you determine what your tank theme is, then discissions about lighting and water movement fall in line.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Reef-Aquariums-Simplified-Approaches/dp/1890087009

John Tullock focuses on simplified reefkeeping as a hoslistic relationship with nature. It helped me to see the big picture. My 75G display is set up with a Jaubert Plenumn using crushed coral (2mm-5mm size) 6" deep.

It's RO/DI (O ppm) on outtake and can make 150 gallons a day if desired! Starts at TDS 330. Have three TDS meters one on incoming water - product water and a handheld for testing tanks and mixes.

Nicole

Nicole

Thanks for the info Patrick - I will certainly look into it. Just so many decisions...while trying to manage costs also. I have tanks in every size waiting to go into fishroom 20H ,20L, 29, and 55's and two 75 gallon and a 75 thin wall so won't fill but not sure what I'm going to do with it! (which the plans change weekly --it feels like!) was going to be mostly discus now discus and freshwater shrimp & and a few dwarf chiclid pairs. Still have some more sorting to do so we can start the remodel. Combining two 3000 sq foot houses into one is tough!

Nicole

It's RO/DI (O ppm) on outtake and can make 150 gallons a day if desired! Starts at TDS 330. Have three TDS meters one on incoming water - product water and a handheld for testing tanks and mixes.

Nicole

Nicole

Perfect!

Bad water is the downfall of many new hobbyist, sounds like you have it well taken care of.

Learned that lesson when I had my 75 ...algae is finally what did me in. Switched back to freshwater - Because couldn't haul enough and didn't have RO/DI back then.

Nicole