Wet tile saw recommendations

FarmerTy

Hi ARC,

Was wondering if anybody had any good wet tile saw recommendations for cutting coral frags? I was going to retile my bathrooms and kitchen anyways so I figured... why not get dual purpose out of it? Plus, easy way to pass this tool purchase passed the girlfriend. Haha. Let me know what everyone is using. Thanks.

-Ty

I bought a cheap generic at Harbor Freight a few years ago for around $60. It got me through my bathroom tile remodel, but I'll warn you that leaving water or salt on it will rust it in no time flat.

Yeah, I think you are really looking at 2 different tools if you want to do each appropriately. The wet tile saw for floor tiles and a wet band saw for corals. The tile saw can be difficult to maneuver corals around to get the angled cut you really want and the round blade can cause extra heat for the corals as well as a wider cut. The band saw will allow more agility in cutting corals and could be used for tiles but would make cutting a straight line on large tile more difficult, but it can be done. If you are really wanting 1 tool, I would say go with the wet band saw...

I looked at that one Mike at Harbor Freight but the reviews scared me off it. It's hit or miss there at Harbor Freight. I do love my $20 sawz-all I got there though. Help me cut the tub out.

I was going to pick up the Skil wet saw at Lowe's for only $30 bucks more.

Thanks for the suggestions for the band saw. Either way I know I will have to get a wet tile saw for the bathroom update so I already ruled out the band saw, as it will have only one purpose at my house... to cut coral. I'll loose the precision with a wet tile saw but all I really wanted was something to easily cut through those stupid frag disks and live rock.

you might want to consider renting the tile saw from a box store they are way better to use than the el cheepo ones and you dont have to store a tool you will probly never use again lol. I know I would do that and I own one of the el cheepo home depot saws.

The miter style ones can be rented at lowes or home depot. They are far superior to a hand saw. It would definitely be worth it to rent one. We've done several large areas with hand saws and it is possible but a huge pain compared to the miter wet saws.

That's the dilemma. There is the possibility of doing 3 separate jobs with the tile saw (current bathroom, master bathroom, and kitchen). I figure three separate rentals will add up to me getting a $90 mitre wet saw easily, and then some. So why not buy it. I have a large shed in the back for storage and can fire it up when needed to saw a couple coral frags here and there.

The saw is actually a table mitre saw, and not a hand saw. I don't trust my free hand cutting that much to even attempt that. Haha.