A Permenant Brackish Ich Quarantine tank?

KevinB

I do maintain a permanent hypo QT. I have not seen ill affects to a clown and damsel that I have had in the tank for about 8 weeks. I just added a mystery wrasse last night and took out the damsel today. The wrasse seems to be doing just fine.

I set this tank up to go after ich when I realizes my fish were deing because of a bacterial infection. As for treating for ich and not getting all of "ick", the research study in the link goes into the effectiveness of hypo. If I really wanted kill ick with copper, I would QT in hypo, use Chloroquine, and put "Hydros" UV light....

I had no idea hermits would survive in hypo, BB let us know if your hermit dies. Anyone know if snails would be ok? Being able to keep a cuc in a hypo qt would be awsome.

I agree Kevin, I'm not a fan off bare bottom although you can paint the bottom of the tank. Sometimes it stresses the fish out if they see their reflection in it. If you are using hypo or copper having a bare bottom isn't necessary since the free swimming ich should be destroyed.

Subsea can most macro that you have surive/thrive in brackish water?

@ Hydro, I've did not have problems with the more common tangs, damsels, angels, dwarf angels, hawks, wrasses and basslets but that leaves a lot of fish that might be sensitive. I rarely get butterflies and don't recall wether or not I eever used hypo with them.

@Kevin B, Scats are hardy but they'll get pretty big and I haven't kept them but I would check around to see if they get agressive or territorial also.

I know the hermits from the coast will live a long time in brackish. I also would not be surprised in Sally Light Foots do as some species are found in tidepools which will have wide fluctuations but I haven't actually tried it. I would think most of the hermits used as cuc would survive but again I haven't tried.

Cool... learned something new today. The articles I read said they would not survive but I guess need to queston the articles I read more. I was not to worried about the snails as I was not planning on putting them in the QT.

Thanks for the info Kevin

Kevin...I have about 1" of argonite and live rock in my tank.

What diammeter is the aragonite? I am using a model of IndoPacific SeaFarm in which aragonite 1mm-2mm in diameter at 1/2" thick. Gerald Heslinger was against de-nitrification being done by bacteria. Have you stirred your sandbed?

Patrick

. . . The articles I read said they would not survive but I guess need to queston the articles I read more. . .

Yeah, take everything you read with a grain of salt. I haven't had a chance to read the links but they may still be good articles. There is so much that still does not have very good research and often articles are slanted to a particular audience and the author may have tried to keep it simple. It is daunting sometimes at just how complex this hobby is and this is a good example of how helpful forums like this can be.

. . . The articles I read said they would not survive but I guess need to queston the articles I read more. . .

Yeah, take everything you read with a grain of salt. I haven't had a chance to read the links but they may still be good articles. There is so much that still does not have very good research and often articles are slanted to a particular audience and the author may have tried to keep it simple. It is daunting sometimes at just how complex this hobby is and this is a good example of how helpful forums like this can be.

I think that the marine research scientist should read these hobby forums so that we could teach them a thing or two.

Patrick

@ Hydro, I've did not have problems with the more common tangs, damsels, angels, dwarf angels, hawks, wrasses and basslets but that leaves a lot of fish that might be sensitive. I rarely get butterflies and don't recall wether or not I eever used hypo with them.

@Kevin B, Scats are hardy but they'll get pretty big and I haven't kept them but I would check around to see if they get agressive or territorial also.

I know the hermits from the coast will live a long time in brackish. I also would not be surprised in Sally Light Foots do as some species are found in tidepools which will have wide fluctuations but I haven't actually tried it. I would think most of the hermits used as cuc would survive but again I haven't tried.

I have seen Green and Ruby Scats. Both are very attractive and inquisitive fish that would make unique contributions in a lagoon tank. If you buy them small and sell them big, you may make money.

Patrick