Successful Goniopora Tank

FarmerTy

Hi all,

Does anybody have a successful goniopora tank running currently? I know the criteria for successful is open-ended so I'll say... not just able to keep... but also have flourishing goniopora colonies that have grown over the last 2 years?

I had one for about 8 months until I think it starved when I was going for a low nutrient system and wasn't feeding it. I'll definitly be getting another one once my 200g settles in. The one I had at least tripled in size during the time I'd had it.

Juiceman, what were you feeding? Oyster eggs? spot feeding?

I have 1 out of 3 colonies thriving, while the other 2 dying. All red goni (supposedly the easier kept version) encrusting type. All were surviving just fine before I had a cyano breakout due to my biopellets not being directly plumbed into my skimmer. After the cyano, two colonies are really fighting to recover while the 3rd is going gangbusters.

Any input is much appreciated. Also, my secondary objective was to find a surrogate tank to take the other two and to give me a frag another day once it proliferates.

I say this, knowing that a million people will volunteer, but I will only select a tank that is capable of this task. Not to be exclusionary, but if I don't see your name consistently on the forums, I may have a bit of hesitation giving you the frags. No insult intended but these are my frags to give to whoever I want. Thanks.

-Ty

My 2" Red Gonipora has only been in my tank about 6 weeks, but looks good. No target feeding (I only feed my fish), but it's directly downstream of a powerhead my hippo tang always poops in front of.

Sorry, didn't see that you were trying to give them away. I'm not interested in taking them (more like I would like to, but I'm out of room).

Thanks Juiceman. I have some coral frenzy and will try some feedings to see if they recover.

Michae52, I have been dosing iron and magnesium. I did not know about manganese, unless that was a typo. Are there readily available test kits for manganese?

PBNJ, yeah, I have a pooping hippo, sailfin, and yellow tang. Hoping their mess is my goniopora's gain. It was doing just fine until the cyano outbreak... now the recovery part is the issue. It probably speaks volumes about my tank not being to support goniopora if it can't recover quickly. That threshold was probably just keeping it alive in my tank, and one slip and it'll go spiraling down.

Let's see if I can strike a delicate balance between enough food for the goniopora's in the water but a low nutrient environmental enough for my SPS. I think this is an uphill battle.

On that note, again, if anybody has a successful goniopora tank, with the parameters in the first post, let me know so I can send the frags your way for a promise of a frag back when it is better off.

-Ty

Sorry, I was referring to your original post Michae52. You put "iron and manganese" for dosing, but followed it with the elemental symbol for iron (Fe) and magnesium (Mg). I wasn't sure if you meant manganese the first time or magnesium when you typed it. Just asking for clarification in case I needed to look into manganese dosing. Sorry if I erred.