Coolest CORAL you have/had..

ut6

After seeing the coolest fish thread I thought it would be cool to start the coral version. Lets see some pictures of your favorite/coolest coral you have ever had. I would like to see some sps and lps both! Crazy colors, body or behavior whatever you have.

Edited by ut6

Hard to pick a single favorite. One of my fav's is my pink rhizo. The pictures of it are while fully expanded but it can draw in to almost nothing. They are supposed to be non-photosynthetic so I feed it mysid shrimp every few days. It will draw in food with its tentacles just like a nem.

post-1255-0-08823500-1329611648_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-08196500-1329612053_thumb.jp

Hmmm...impossible to pick just one. I really like my duncan frag, its grown 3 new baby polyps that I fed today for the first time :D looks like its got a few more starting to pop out too!

My green staghorn has been keeping me happy lately, lots of new growth and its turned a deep forest green-teal color. I love my sour apple birdsnest too, super fuzzy looking with all the PE.

Also got 2 new hydnophora frags a few weeks ago, they look super happy and fleshy with the little polyps showing... and so far I haven't seen any flesh eating sweepers come out lol! I was scared to get them but they were real pretty, glad I did now :)

That almost looks like a massive colony of leathers or something...can you give more details??

I love being asked to brag grin.png Yeah, it's one single colony of Palau Green Finger (most are familiar with the Nephthia sp.) and is one of the octocorals or soft corals. The picture is of a colony one of my clients donated in 2003. The original frag was purchased from Aquadome in 1997 for about a $1.00 (parent died of brown jelly infection). Research done in 2008 by L. P. van Ofwegen identified 15 new species ( http://dpc.uba.uva.n...03a51;view=text ). Lab work done last year by Michael P. Janes of Aquatouch identified our coral as S. foliata. As I understand It's currently only known from one location in Palau and is not being exported.

Yup. It's growth form is highly variable and influenced by water flow. This colony you can see the denser and fuller polyp extension on the back top side where it gets direct flow from a pump but lower down and to the front where the water is calmer it has more expansion spreading the polyps farther apart and has more of a draping growth form.

post-1247-0-01996800-1329681250_thumb.jp

Teresa, I have heard those are very hard to keep. Do you believe this to be true? What kind of special care does it take? just curious as far as flow, food, and or lighting.

Its the only nps that is still alive and thriving in my tank. To be honest I'm not sure why. I feed the tank rotifers and copepods daily. I'm still experimenting with flow cause its in my seahorse tank so I don't want the flow too high, but algae builds without enough flow. I'm also thinking of making a continuous feeder using a wine bottle chiller. I'm hoping this will let me keep the other corals that have since died (orange tree, for example). Not sure why the Indo lace has done well, but I'm very happy about it!