Adding Dry Rock

Rjohn

I bought 25lb of Marco dry rock and some shelf pieces. I am gonna soak it for a couple of days in RO water and then I plan to add it to my tank. I will be removing probably at least half of what is currently in there to alleviate the gsp problem. Does anyone see any problems with my plans?

What will that do for the bioload and water parameters and will this cause the tank to cycle again?

I don't know if you have researched this but its the two questions that poped into my head. Other than that it sounds good and I would be interested in your ricordea possibly. Also, last I heard Mike Brown was looking for GSP and even trading items for it, might have a good place to send that rock to!

I dont think it will recycle. I hope my two RBTA's get over the shock OK. They and one plate are the only things I would be really hurt to lose. When I do a water change, I have been pulling a handful or two of gsp off the rocks. In some places, it was double layered. **** stuff is going viral. I REALLY do not recommend putting this in any tank. Does anything eat it?

You can probably start adding the Marco rocks straight away, they're pre-cured these days (they didn't used to be, hence why you'll come across threads about bad nutrient lvls coming off them.)

Maybe add one or two, wait a few days and then add another and so on. As you're going to be swapping out 1/2 of your current LR I'd be inclined to make the switch slowly. I'm afraid I don't know how slowly, never swapped rocks before; it just seems like when you're trading live for dead (rather than just adding) you might want to give the bacteria time to catch up. Maybe get some Dr Tims Nitrifying bacteria to help it along?

Good choice on the Marco rocks! I love mine! :D

if it was me I would check the phospate levels in the ro bucket before you put the rocks in then the next day. If it has gone up alot I would go to a pool supply and get seaclear phosphate remover and add some to the ro bucket then shake the rocks around a bit to get all the white junk it will produce off. Then I would do another bucket of Ro and rinse and place one of the rocks in it to check if its still leaching phosphates and repeat till no more po4 is being released.

After the po4 is where you can handle it I would rinse the rocks then add a few each week to the tank.

You should not see a cycle. You might see a diatom bloom but that will pass in a couple of days.

With dry rock you just want to make sure it is well rinsed and you are good to go. If you cycle, or pre-cycle the rock you are risking adding life to the rock. When you add rock to a tank that has things living in/on it you risk another cycle.

FYI: The rock I sell is from Marco. It is good stuff. Come hand pick your own next time you need some.