Water Noise Reduction

brian.srock

So now that I have a sump I stuck my filter in it but since the water level of the sump is 6" lower to accomodate excess DT water from a power failure I am getting a lot of water noise since it has to travel so far down. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can reduce the noise by either extending the lip or diverting it?

post-1271-0-96285400-1328116404.jpg

Brian, can you explain what you are trying to accomplish with this filter running off your sump? Like, Mike said, not many run their systems in this way. If we have a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish, we may have added suggestions for you.

• Like 1

Why not just put some live rock in sump and a filter sock. If you have a siphon back problem that raises your sump level too much then you have your returns too far under the water surface in your dt. I'm running total of 90g and I can unplug my pumps and only raises my sump level by 2".

Edited by DerrickH

I will get to live rock, eventually (so freaking expensive) but I believe the carbon filtration does wonders on keeping a lot of stuff out of my tank and makes my water crystal clear. I will see about bending a piece of acrylic and attaching it to the filter to break it up

If you're looking to run carbon then a reactor would be a much better solution. They keep the carbon agitated which improves performance and there'd be no trickling noise.

They're not that expensive either (compared to most SW things!) :)http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/gfo-and-carbon-reactors

Extending the lip I think would be a good idea. Those HOB filters are good for water clarity. If you get tired of replacing cartridges you can pick up some of that blue and white bulk filter pad at a LFS. Any pictures of the sump set up?