Is this ALGAE or just a surprise plant?

fishface

This started growing in our saltwater tank several months ago and, being semi-new to this hobby, we thought it was just a cool-lookiing plant. Just to be sure, though, we took it to a place that sells salt-water fish and they said it was some kind of algae and that if we don't get rid of it soon it will kill everything on the live rock. Any input from my fellow reef lovers?

post-1975-0-98001600-1327879991_thumb.jp

I am REALLY confused now. Good? Bad? We're pretty naive about the things that grow in our tank, and if it's bad we want to get rid of it. The guy who told us it was bad worked at a CHAIN petstore where they sell saltwater fish. What do I do with red microalgae? We don't know if it's good or bad. I know, I know. "DUH."

I would welcome macro algae like that to grow in my tank, and if you have tangs they will probably welcome it too. The vast majority of alga are beneficial and in fact the majority of the biomass on a reef is not corals or fish but alga making up between 55% to 85% of the total biomass.

+2 for Timfish.

In overviewing habitate on coral reefs, if it were not for the herbivores, we would have algae dominated reefs. Twenty years ago, a mysterious virus/bacteria wiped out almost 100% of the Long Spinned Urchin in parts of the Caribbean with a resulting overgrowth of many coral reefs.