Advice for a noob

KevinB

Ok so I got my first couple of fish a week ago, a scribbled rabbitfish and a kole tang. That day my skimmer pump died. At the time I had a fair amount of gha. 3 days later my tank was pretty much clear of gha. I introduced nori and only the rabbitfish has gone for it. He now ignores any gha in the tank. The tang never even tried the nori, but did go for mysis. Now he just goes for the gha and is not eating the mysis. I got some new seaweed food for him to try, but my question is this: should I wait to replace my skimmer pump until the tang has a suitable gha replacement, with the thought of encouraging gha growth? I don't have any chaeto in my fuge yet, so the gha and some red algae is all there is so far.

So far the fish look great and are getting used to the tank. They get along well so far, and the rabbitfish enjoys hanging out in my anthelia cluster. Maybe he thinks he's a clown? Ha!

^^^ what AAArrrggg said. Regardless of what your fish are munching on, your going to want a functional skimmer. As for the GHA, even with the skimer, ithe GHA is going to suck up nasties from the water column regardless of what the skimmer is pulling out n survive on whats left. Your tang will help mow the grass grass till its gone... Sounds to me like you have found a natural "over balance" in the tank and thats not so bad. My sailfin loved the seawead with garlic so if you worried about him starving once the GHA is nixed, then that should be plenty.

I'd rather have a fish to feed than a bunch of GHA. Just my .02c

Edited by DerrickH

Good to hear your fish are taking care of the GHA. I myself am indifferent to the use of protien skimming and have run reef systems for years without it. In the last couple of years Ken Feldman, et al, has published research on protien skimming on Advanced Aquarist (JasonJones posted a thread a few weeks ago about it) and it does have it's limitations (only pulls out 1/3 of the DOC in a tank, alters the bacterial populations from what's found in nature on reefs). If you think your tank was doing better with it then fix it, if not don't bother.

I'm not sure I would of started the hobby with tangs, but good husbandry(tank care) is the most important part to anything, keeping parameters stable.. regardless of how they are, stability is key. Skimmers can help, but if the parameters were in the right direction, gha wouldn't exist.

Edited by Toxiq Reef

Well it may be a moot point anyway, I was able to get the tang to eat some instant ocean canned seaweed food. He is still grazing as well, but I'll get the skimmer back up just to be on the safe side