Blue-legged hermit crab death

SoggyDollar

I've lost some hermits in the past, don't know why. Figured they fought eachother. I very recently added a large blue-legged hermit crab (impulse buy). He didn't do much since I released into my DT. He moved about two feet and found a rock to watch closely. Three or four days later ol' blu is dead, pulled out of its shell and eaten. I don't have any big or real aggressive fish: mystery wrasse, small school of lyretail anthias, clown, and a fire shrimp. What could have caused his death? Natural death? The wrasse has been known to eat peppermint shrimp. Could he have done this?

It happens. My hermits don't last all that long, especially the larger ones. It could be that he was looking for a bigger shell. The rest of your CUC could be the reason he looked eaten; they're just doing their job. Shoot, my yellow tang will even eat hermits and snails that die. Since it was just a hermit, I wouldn't be too worried about it, although it never hurts to test your water just to be safe.

Its hard to say for sure, but IMO the mystery is definetly a prime suspect, as they have been known to be pretty aggressive fish. And they have also been known to target inverts as their prey.