Questions regarding cleaning with vinegar

C Lo Slice

I mix my new saltwater for water changes in a 5 gallon Homer Bucket. Over the months, there has been considerable residue left on the bucket from the salt. If I were to clean the bucket with distilled white vinegar, can I continue to use the bucket for my WCs, or will the vinegar affect the water chemistry? I also have two Koralia nano powerheads and a Koralia 3 that I have been sticking in the bucket to mix the saltwater. The two nanos have crapped out, and just last night the Koralia 3 stopped working. I took it apart and rinsed it under hot water to clear debris, but it didn't do anything to make it work again. If I were to give them all a vinegar bath, would that have any affect on possibly getting them to work again? Or am I just SOL? How much vinegar should I use in the 5 gallon bucket, and should I also use RODI water with the vinegar bath or will tap suffice? I just put a Sea Hare in the tank on Saturday so WCs are fairly important right now. Bad time for all of my extra powerheads to stop working.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Vinegar works great for cleaning the powerheads. As mentioned, be sure to soak/rinse with clean water very well.

As for the bucket ... I guess you could, but I personally would not risk it. You would need a lot of vinegar to clean a 5g bucket, whereas the power heads can sit in a small batch.

In the case of power heads that stopped working, a vinegar bath is the way to go. I have even run them in pure vinegar. It is cheaper than bottled water. Most often with powerheads, it is the alignment of the ceramic shaft that is supported on the two ends by pillar block or pedastal bearings. Depending on pump design, taking apart these items and using fine grit sandpaper or kitchen brillo pads may be necessary. Even stainless steel rust in water.

A simple rinse with tap water of your 5 gallon bucket is sufficiant. Vinegar is not cynide.

If it was me I would put about a cup of vinegar and a gal of water in the bucket and if you can get the power heads working I would throw them in the bucket with the vinegar water mix with them running for a few hours rinse it all out and your are golden.

Vinegar will not harm your tank or creatures in anyway. 2 months ago i started dosing vinegar as a carbon sorce to help with phospates/nitrates. im currently adding 30ml a day and will probly get up to 50-60 before the bacteria it helps grow will kick in.

if you want more info on it check RC's chemestry forum.

The vinegar is no problem, with our hard water a simple rise will change it from being an acid to being the same ph as our tap water. Vinegar is safe and as stated above, many of us have dosed it for carbon and bacteria proliferation. One little tip, heat the vinegar and it will work faster, basic chemistry at work. :-) For really tough buildup you can also use Muriatic Acid (hydrochloric acid) diluted in water. I use 1 part Muriatic to 10 parts water. If anyone does this, use safe practices, nitrile gloves and eye protection and try to avoif breathing the vapors. Always add water to acid and never acid to water. For simple cleaning, vinegar works fine and there is no need to dilute it.

Thanks for the tips and advice, guys. The powerheads nearly look brand new, but are still not working :( . Guess I just need to buy a new one.

For really tough buildup you can also use Muriatic Acid (hydrochloric acid) diluted in water. I use 1 part Muriatic to 10 parts water. If anyone does this, use safe practices, nitrile gloves and eye protection and try to avoif breathing the vapors. Always add water to acid and never acid to water. For simple cleaning, vinegar works fine and there is no need to dilute it.

Whoa... I didn't know you could use Muriatic acid. That's pretty intense.

You can, and over the years many of us have and still do. It is as safe as you are in handling it. Diluted it is still caustic but not as dangerous as straight. Always dilute and don't leave plastic in it over night, plastic will begin to peel and swell. I had to learn that the hard way. :-) If you ever buy a used tank that is massively coated with coraline, 1:10 muriatic will be needed to clean the tank over night, vinegar would take many days and lots of scrubbing to work. As the calcium dissolves, it weakens the acidity, this is a problem with vinegar and heavy build up, but because the Muriatic is stronger it takes longer to weaken. As always, safe handling is a key here and when done tap water will nuetralize the acid.