Juiceman

Forgive my ignorance here, but if you're doing closed loops, have you considered using DC pumps that offer more control? One of the guys up here in Temple has a 270g tank and was using an ocean motion to provide more random flow patterns. I got to thinking about it and you could just as easily run 2-3 closed loops on a tank that size with DC pumps and completely eliminate the need for power heads. Especially with something like the Ecotech Vectras, then you could program ramp ups and slower patterns causing all sorts of crazy flow......hmmmm may have to steal that idea for a future build.

Forgive my ignorance here, but if you're doing closed loops, have you considered using DC pumps that offer more control? One of the guys up here in Temple has a 270g tank and was using an ocean motion to provide more random flow patterns. I got to thinking about it and you could just as easily run 2-3 closed loops on a tank that size with DC pumps and completely eliminate the need for power heads. Especially with something like the Ecotech Vectras, then you could program ramp ups and slower patterns causing all sorts of crazy flow......hmmmm may have to steal that idea for a future build.

I'm fairly certain my bottom pane is tempered.... so no go on a close loop...

Are you sure? I mean we could just give it a try wink.png /smartass off

Sorry, so used to running acrylic that I forget about tempered glass.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm definitely interested in a closed loop setup on a future tank!

The other big question from this is if I should change my sump direction to better manifold the return.

Currently, my return is all the way to the right and the manifold has to stretch to the other side. (Option 1)

With the new stand, I will gain the opportunity to flip my sump's orientation to possibly make a more functional manifold.. Not sure if it could help or not.

6de36df3554ad51dcdad0fdac2ad756d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So option 1 would be close to what it would have to be the way the sump is now... Not official

10833a7c490bb962c007c4621318f003.jpg

Option 2 would be if I flipped the sump.. Idk if it matters or not... It would make the return plumbing a bit less chaotic for sure.

Thought this was the future tank? Why not sell yours now that it's empty and use the cash to pick up an acrylic that'll allow you to do what you want?

Thought this was the future tank? Why not sell yours now that it's empty and use the cash to pick up an acrylic that'll allow you to do what you want?

I won't be able to make the thousands of dollars selling this that I would need to purchase a new tank....!

Not racking up my credit cards again!

I won't be able to make the thousands of dollars selling this that I would need to purchase a new tank....!

Not racking up my credit cards again!

You might be surprised at how affordable the custom acrylic tanks are. I'll PM you the info and price on mine

There are other great plumbing pics from here http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-me-your-plumbing.252077/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=June_07_2016

Sometimes the why is because you can. Do it!

Great link!! Can someone tell me what the 3 gatevalves w/ the open end are for? (Maybe there's 4 of them)6fd5aa368b8ff6be73bfa5a58940e9e5.jpg

There are other great plumbing pics from here http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-me-your-plumbing.252077/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=June_07_2016

Sometimes the why is because you can. Do it!

Great link!! Can someone tell me what the 3 gatevalves w/ the open end are for? (Maybe there's 4 of them)6fd5aa368b8ff6be73bfa5a58940e9e5.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like a manifold and the gate valves as allow for hooking up dosing pumps off the return line

• Like 1

I agree with Reburn. The drains being gravity fed should have the shorter, less complicated plumbing. I think this is probably why that is the most common configuration you see?

Holy cow! I feel like you've spent $1000 on just rock alone up to this point! I hope you craft the most beautiful, iconic reefscape man has ever seen with all this stuff! It will be the stuff of legends!!! punk.gif

Well, the Tukani was about $3.50 lb shipped... The shelf rock was $2.99 lb.

I called and asked BRS about how much I should order to get about 5-6 6-7" shelves. It looks like I got a lot more than 6!

So I'm at about $800 total right now, I guess the cost of salt to cure will probably put me at $1000 :/

Figure I'd rather have too much than not enough... I can always sell the extra if any.

I wanted to be able to build something natural yet intriguing!

Here's my current manifold plan...

8436d86149f9733c684edc081a7ed404.jpg

Not sure if I should add more valves.... Or a union in a specific place... or use gate instead of ball anywhere, etc.

I will use 1.5" piping for the manifold and at the t's go to whatever size pipe the equipment or piping require.

Thoughts? Changes?

I like the idea that I can shut off something on the manifold without losing tuning. So I am going to go with a pvc ball valve of the diameter of the pipe and then a mur-loc ball valve on quick connect tubing from the manifold to the device. I'll probably tune with the mur-loc and cutoff with the pvc valve. Reburn may have a different opinion about cutoff vs tune valve usage.

And I want to use a quick disconnect fitting on the end of the small tubing at the end device wherever possible!

• Like 1