Does anyone have this coral?

polarbear

From what I've read the entire class of matting Paly's contain palytoxin. By the looks these are either Palythoa tuberculosa, or Palythoa caesia, but no way to be certain. In any case, these may be extremely toxic. I didn't think anybody kept the matting type because of their toxicity.

Where have you been reading this?

From what I've read the entire class of matting Paly's contain palytoxin. By the looks these are either Palythoa tuberculosa, or Palythoa caesia, but no way to be certain. In any case, these may be extremely toxic. I didn't think anybody kept the matting type because of their toxicity.

Well I guess I'll have to take extra care when around this coral? I as just reading an article about the case where a person had a Zoanthid colony responsible for a severe respiratory reaction. They tried to boil the rock with the polyps on it. They were collected from a home aquarium in 2008. They look a lot like my teal polyps. Guess this shows just how careful you need to be around some corals.

The primary toxic Paly was the Palythoa toxica. If you research the other matting varieties, there are associations with the same toxins. The toxin is actually a byproduct of a bacteria or a dinoflagellate and not the coral itself, so it's unfair to say the class of coral is toxic. It's completely possible to have a "toxic" coral, and it not actually being toxic.

The matting Paly's are caribaeorum, tuberculosa, caesia, psammophila, mammillosa, and toxica.

Here's the advanced aquariest article on Palytoxin: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/palytoxin-the-worlds-second-deadliest-poison-possibly-available-at-your-lfs

Main thing is to not boil the rock, obviously, but just take extra precaution if you have cuts or scrapes and you are working in the tank. Your coral may be completely safe but with that variety I would stay safe.

Another good reminder that wearing gloves is a great idea. I had a bad outbreak from the last contact with my RBTAs. Previously I'd been fine with them, but after reacting to torch corals previously I'm evidently expanding my allergic reactions....