what type of sponge is this?

meaganmason1

I can not tell you the name, but I have had them often. I can not say for your tank is it good or bad. It depends on what you now have and what do you want. in your tank.

In general sponges are filter feeders which come in with live rock/rubble. They are not bad and are an indicator of the biological biodiversity of your system.

In general sponges are filter feeders which come in with live rock/rubble. They are not bad and are an indicator of the biological biodiversity of your system.

What subsea said. Looks like a typical benign hitchhiker sponge. I have a much smaller one visible on one of my rocks in my tank.

an ultra insane green sponge shifty.gif

I'm on the "good indicator of biodiversty" bus with this one. I find them comforting to know they are just one more thing filtering the water day in and day out and you don't have to change their filters. I have had them in close proximity to many of my corals with no noticible ill effect.

• Like 1

Another plus for sponges, is that for certain fish, sponge is a major food. My sponges never looked that pretty. Cryptic Zone filtration relies heavily on sponges and tunicates. Google Steve Tyree or Cryptic Zone Filtration.

Another plus for sponges, is that for certain fish, sponge is a major food. My sponges never looked that pretty. Cryptic Zone filtration relies heavily on sponges and tunicates. Google Steve Tyree or Cryptic Zone Filtration.

What fish actually eat sponge? Just curious. I have a lot of it in my tank except mine is pink, I could prob make some little fish a happy camper!