Offshore's 240 Gallon Acrylic

nuxx

Scratch those LEDs :P

Just ordered one fixture with 55 3 watt Bridgelux LEDs. Blues and Whites are fully dimable 2%-100% on the fixutre. 28 Blues, 27 Whites.

Wanted to get one to test before I buy the other 3 :)

Price was unbeatable, and fixture was getting some good reviews on RC.

Got the first fixture to test, pretty nice smile.png

Going to test for a few days then buy the other 3.

Slight fan noise, but you won't hear it when the canopy if over the fixtures. Also, when the blues are running only 1 fan runs, 2 fans run for the whites and 3 fans run when both blue and white are on. So in the morning and evening it'll be quieter since only the blue's one fan will be on.

Can't really tell how much they dim in the video, since it just over powers my phones camera.

Edited by offshore

Well I gave my Niger Trigger to Prof, was just a little worried about it getting too aggressive.

Moved over the gobies, yellow bellied blue tang and black ice clown into the 55. I ended up tearing the rock down and catching the YT Damsel, and he's no longer with us. He attacked everything new in the tank.

So only slightly aggressive fish I have left is the Skeletor Moray. He's a good 14" inches and hasn't touched anything. Even spends all day with a fire shrimp.

I haven't seen the gobies since I tore the rock out, so I'm hoping they're just hiding... hope they didn't jump out and become puppy chow as I was ripping rock out of the tank sad.png

Anyway, going to scratch the idea of getting a Crosshatch Trigger as well. Don't really want fish eating fish. Might get some other sort of tang instead.

Sounds like Prof will have my tank plumbed and fuge/sump ready right after we get back from Vegas around the Weekend of May 19th. smile.png

Edited by offshore

Cool build. I'm fairly close to you over off of Hamilton Pool. I'd be interested to see those LEDs in person once you get things setup. Prof also drilled my tank and I got some great rock from him too. Following along....

Cool build. I'm fairly close to you over off of Hamilton Pool. I'd be interested to see those LEDs in person once you get things setup. Prof also drilled my tank and I got some great rock from him too. Following along....

No problem, I showed Prof the fixture when he came to get the Trigger and he really liked it. Said he'd think about picking one up as well.

Need to get some sort of pistons on the canopy since it's so heavy. Already figured out how I want to hang the lights, so hopefully soon after the tank is back I'll have the canopy all sorted out and have the lights mounted on the tank. :)

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Tank should be back from Prof this week. Have around 250 lbs of established live rock (few years old) curing and have about 130 gallons of RODI water made.

Still need to:

- Order 3 more LED fixtures

- Order Sand

- Make more water >:0

- Make mounting for lights

- Figure out piston for canopy

Once the system is full and up and running and see what kind of cycle (if any) happens. I'll then pick and choose which pieces of live rock I'll use in the 240, since I'll have around 320 lbs. I want some swimming room, so I'll turn the 55 into a holding tank for new fish and use left over rock in there.

Next I toss in the CUC from Reef Cleaners and fish/coral a few weeks later.

Finally getting there :)

Yeah funny how tangs do not get along... Can't have a purple or black because I have a yellow. Can't get a powder blue or brown since I'm getting an Achilles... at least the blue seems to get along with most other tangs.

I have a purple and yellow tang together, and have had several 3rd tangs over the years with them (Kole Tang, Clown Tang, Sailfin tang) without issue.

I have a purple and yellow tang together, and have had several 3rd tangs over the years with them (Kole Tang, Clown Tang, Sailfin tang) without issue.

Awesome, I'm hoping with smaller juvenile tangs that I won't see an issue in a 240 with lots of hiding spaces. Still want to be safe and put the yellow and purple in at the same time. The yellow has always been my alpha fish, even when I had the trigger... also the purple seems pretty nuts in QT, flying around the tank when I come check on him :)

• 4 weeks later...

Getting close. I keep changing little things on the build, but I think we've finally nailed it down and Prof has finished up.

Looking to install this weekend. Just got all my sand in as well, just pre-washed Aragonite.

My purple tang in the 20 gallon QT tank got a nasty case of HLLE. I think it's from the carbon in the new filters. Also it was pretty dark where that tank was.

I moved him to a 40 gallon I borrowed from Prof and put around 50 lbs of live rock that I've been curing in there with him. I've bumped up feedings and added more vitamins to his diet. Hopefully with more room, more flow, no carbon, better diet, sun light, etc... he'll recover. I know HLLE can take forever to heal though...

post-2170-0-02852300-1342022472_thumb.jp

Edited by offshore

Nori nori nori! I have a Sailfin, yellow, hippo, and purple and about to introduce my achilles. I'm using an acclimation chamber to get them used to each other before I release each new one. Has worked very well

Prof dropped up the tank last night and got the overflows setup.

Going to make a few changes to the sump/fuge setup, but that'll be back in a few days :)

Will start putting water and rock in today though :D

post-2170-0-16655300-1342624050_thumb.jp

Just started mixed my stock pile of RO water with one of the new Sicce Voyager HP 4000s / 10 ... **** that thing is strong... the rubbermaid looks like it's having a mini storm in it. :P