Setting up 125G and sump

ScubaSteve

So i just set up the tank and sump last night with nothing in the sump or tank yet. just wanted to test everything out and have the water moving. My question is if anyone knows of a way to make the noise calm down some on the drain pipe. It is making a loud suction noise. right now i just put filter floss on the top of the tube and that makes it not so bad but i wanted something more permanent. any ideas would be great! thanks!

Stephen

post-1518-0-12952800-1325105662_thumb.jp

post-1518-0-61717300-1325105701_thumb.jp

post-1518-0-16639200-1325105741_thumb.jp

post-1518-0-94520700-1325105780_thumb.jp

One problem with gate valves. Generally, you would set the valve to achieve and equal "fill rate" and drain rate to make it silent. However, I have had problems with this and almost overflowed my tank. My pump, and maybe just my specific brand, will have higher gph when its first started up and cool. Once it runs for a few hours the gph is reduced a bit. I set my gate valve (used 1" ID ball valve) when the pump had been running for a few days. I shut the pump off to feed for only maybe 15 minutes, but I guess it cooled off enough. When I turned it back on the tank almost overflowed. Luckily I caught it and was able to open up the gate valve some to accommodate the higher flow rate into the OF box. I left it alone, wasnt completely silent like before but was a lot better than without it. Again, my just be my pump model. I see the bubbles in your drain tub on your first chamber of your sump, the cavitation in your OF box is causing this, if you can get the flows right, all the bubbles will go away as well.

On a side note, I noticed on that one picture, you have a hose clamp submerged on your return pump. I would remove that, it will rust, even the stainless banded ones have a cheap screw fastener in them made out of carbon steel. There are some plastic ones available around or even a 1/2" wide zip tie would work.

Edited by DerrickH