Photos of my new live rock from FL

KevinB

Couldn't figure out how to reply to a post and add a photo! GRR

Anyway here's my 4 rocks, all about cantaloupe sized. The first one shows the clam. There's another large clam but its status is TBD. These are clams? or are they mussels? Found a couple of live bristle worms. No crabs or mantis yet. If you see anything interesting in the photos, point it out. I still don't know what most of this stuff is yet

Can anyone ID the flat cactus like macro?

thanks!

post-2217-0-24213600-1324594296_thumb.jpg

post-2217-0-51021200-1324594318_thumb.jpg

post-2217-0-94921100-1324594338_thumb.jpg

post-2217-0-84765100-1324594359_thumb.jpg

great looking rock! I'm always so scared of pests...did you get any yet? The cactus like macro is Halimeda, looks exactly like mine, I'd put money on it.

So far so good. I had this shipped via 3day ground, so I found a few dead crabs. The only other critters have been a couple of bristle worms, and a few wormy things emerging from the rock and some copepods. Nothing else noticed yet. I don't see anything on it that resembles aptasia or an anemone.

great looking rock! I'm always so scared of pests...did you get any yet? The cactus like macro is Halimeda, looks exactly like mine, I'd put money on it.

So far so good. I had this shipped via 3day ground, so I found a few dead crabs. The only other critters have been a couple of bristle worms, and a few wormy things emerging from the rock and some copepods. Nothing else noticed yet. I don't see anything on it that resembles aptasia or an anemone.

hmm I'll be near pensacola FL and wonder if I could score something like this for my new tank, could bring it back in the car with me. Where did it come from?

Edited by BiocubeD

I'm a "use dead rock" kinda guy, but wow, that's some nice-looking liverock....chuch full of life you can't buy and add later on.

Nice score. May I ask the supplier?

It looks a little better even now that I've brushed off some of the debris and dead stuff. The orange and red encrusting sponges really pop now, I just hope they survive.

My supplier was www.floridaliverock.com

Dale is a one man operation, he drops the rock and dives to collect it himself I believe. I had it shipped UPS Ground, but he also does same day air shipping. Everything was packed in a plastic bag and covers with wet paper towels. Almost all the rock was still wet, just one little part that was on top had come uncovered and was dry.

Edited by Peyote

hmm I'll be near pensacola FL and wonder if I could score something like this for my new tank, could bring it back in the car with me. Where did it come from?

www.floridaliverock.com

Note that Dale has several grades of rock, including Decorator, Premium Coralline, Coralline, etc. The rocks you see here are considered "Premium Coralline" and ran $3 per pound!

Edited by Peyote

You see this thing that looks like an orange pickle in the 3rd photo of my second set of photos? It's about 4" long. I assume its a sponge, it has one or two small holes in the end. Anyway, when I brushed the debris off it, it retracted ever so slightly and firmed up a little. Am I right in assuming its a sponge? Does the reaction mean it's in good shape and might thrive? Has anyone else seen something like that?

I also found a few mushrooms that are still intact, here's hoping they are alive!

Edited by Peyote

Found another life form that I'm curious about, I've circled it in the photo. It has two pink tubes coming up, can't tell if they are connected. It retracts when touched. It has a ring of what looks like tentacles on the edge of each tube.

Thoughts?

post-2217-0-27484200-1324615627_thumb.jpg

You see this thing that looks like an orange pickle in the 3rd photo of my second set of photos? It's about 4" long. I assume its a sponge, it has one or two small holes in the end. Anyway, when I brushed the debris off it, it retracted ever so slightly and firmed up a little. Am I right in assuming its a sponge? Does the reaction mean it's in good shape and might thrive? Has anyone else seen something like that?

I also found a few mushrooms that are still intact, here's hoping they are alive!

Most likely it's a sponge. If it's still alive and you are past any ammonia spike from curing the rock it should survive. Some sponges have a fair amount of movement and can close up when disturbed and some tunicates will look similar but if you look closely they will have a distinct intake and exhale openings similar to some clams. In the first picture of the second set you posted it looks like you may have two different corals the one just left of center my first guess is Oculina robusta, Robust ivory Tree Coral (order scleractinia, not part of the tree corals in the black coral group order Antipatharia). Dichocoenia stokesii, Elliptical Star Coral, and Favia fragum, Golfball Coral, are two other possibilities. In the same picture directly underneath it is what might be a small Oculina diffusa, Diffuse Ivory Bush Coral. Fortunately since these are on cultured live rock they are technically aquacultured specimens and are legal to keep. Collecting wild Florida corals is illegal. When I cure live rock I keep it raised off the bottom several inches with some eggcrate on pieces of PVC, this helps removing stuff that falls off and if there is a mantis shrimp you're more likely to find it. (My experience the odds of undesirables is low, there's a much greater risk I'm going to have fish that should cohabitate kill each other.) This is some real nice looking stuff! Just getting those two corals alone is probably worth the price and everything else is just frosting on the cake.

• Like 1

Most likely it's a sponge. If it's still alive and you are past any ammonia spike from curing the rock it should survive. Some sponges have a fair amount of movement and can close up when disturbed and some tunicates will look similar but if you look closely they will have a distinct intake and exhale openings similar to some clams. In the first picture of the second set you posted it looks like you may have two different corals the one just left of center my first guess is Oculina robusta, Robust ivory Tree Coral (order scleractinia, not part of the tree corals in the black coral group order Antipatharia). Dichocoenia stokesii, Elliptical Star Coral, and Favia fragum, Golfball Coral, are two other possibilities. In the same picture directly underneath it is what might be a small Oculina diffusa, Diffuse Ivory Bush Coral. Fortunately since these are on cultured live rock they are technically aquacultured specimens and are legal to keep. Collecting wild Florida corals is illegal. When I cure live rock I keep it raised off the bottom several inches with some eggcrate on pieces of PVC, this helps removing stuff that falls off and if there is a mantis shrimp you're more likely to find it. (My experience the odds of undesirables is low, there's a much greater risk I'm going to have fish that should cohabitate kill each other.) This is some real nice looking stuff! Just getting those two corals alone is probably worth the price and everything else is just frosting on the cake.

Thanks for the info!

The orange pickle has been confirmed as a tunicate... The intake siphon has opened up more recently, and I finally saw a small exhallent vent on the side. I'm more hopeful and a little more optimistic about it surviving since its not a sponge.

Any tips on taking care of a sea squirt?

Our sponges from TBS have been slowly dying off (a couple are still with us but the saguaro looking ones are almost all gone now) but the tunicates are doing great. We put kent products as well as rod's food and reef chili in the water, which I think is doing a pretty good job of feeding them.

We started with dead rock (the rock wall plus some leftovers) and dead sand; fed it ammonia daily until the cycle started, then ordered our live rock and sand. It cycled again, but since we had 100 lbs of rock wall and 50 lbs of sand with bacteria already started, the cycle went pretty fast. After that finished we got the second shipment of live rock and the other stuff (anemones, sponges, crabs, etc...).