Good Morning! Today is the day!

LynnEdwards

Mushrooms will survive. I'm surprised your peppermints didn't though.

I recently combined a few tanks, and left a 10gal and a 20gal sitting for a little over a month. Each only had maybe 4" of water in them, slowly evaporating, waiting for me to clean them out.

When I finally went to clean them this past weekend, I found a couple red/blue mushrooms alive in the rubble pile in one, and a peppermint shrimp in the other. These tanks sat with no flow, no filtration, no light, no heat for over a month. I know my apt had to have dropped down to 55 or so in the meantime. I don't run central heat until Feb usually, we prefer the cold. My other tanks have heaters. I tested the salinity and it was over 1.035. Didn't feel like taking the time to test other parameters.

I slowly acclimated them both over a day and added them to my 28gal. They are doing fine. I'm sure the survival was mainly because it was a slow/gradual change, but still pretty nuts that they survived at all.

As others have suggested, take your time. It's more economical to wait to add all your corals and fishy friends than to waste money going too fast.

I pulled the shroom rock out and tried to break it - my husband did actually. And as he was hammering the rock with the scrwdriver....he missed and hit my poor mushroom

I am distraught - no mushroom sad.png Rock is out though.

Put it back in the tank and just watch. They have wonderful regenerative powers. Most likely it will heal right up, or it will split into one or more. BTW, that is a green hairy mushroom (yes, that is actually what it is called). I just had a giant orange cup shroom get hung up in one of my powerheads. It was very badly chewed up. I put it in a low flow low light area of my tank. In just over a week it has not only healed up, but has inflated to the size of a coffee saucer and is beginning to split. They are like cockroaches, very hard to kill.

Their good. If your params are not too far off and it will open up, think you will like what you see depending on the flavor of Zoa. It may be a paly too. If its a paly, it will have longer fingers on it then compared to a zoa. the "Texas trash paly" is kinda pain in the *ss though, it will spread like wildfire. Some people like them, some dont. Im one of the latter. I had a rock with a few polyps on it and it turned into about 30 polyps in a month or so. I took the rock out and boiled it to kill them....big mistake, made me very sick for about 48hrs....their toxin is released into the vapors when boiled. Guess if your going to boil them use a big pot and a turkey fryer or something and do it outside...I learned my lesson. Wont ever see any in my tank.

Now with that said, not all palys are bad. Gods armor are very cool looking!

• 4 weeks later...

To update, we have 2 clown fish, 2 yellow tank, 2 skunk cleaners, 2 fire shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, kryponite candy cane corral, green star polyp, some kind of zoanthid, a kenya tree, and a pulsing xenia. All seem to be happy and healthy.

Did you add all of them at once or in a short period of time? Hope not. Also, thats pretty cramped for two yellow tangs. They like a lot of room to dart around. As long as they get along should be fine. I see a tank upgrade in yall's future with that kind of livestock in there. devil.gif

We started with just the 3 pepperments (as part of the cleaning crew) then added the clowns and a kenya tree...then added the pulsing xenia and the shrimps (we decided we love watching the shrimp)...then a few weeks later we added the 2 tangs and the candy cane. We bought them young (the tangs) so they are little right now.

We knew we liked salt water, we didn't realize how much we'd all like it. We have moved our couch around so it's facing the tank - we sit and watch the tank for hours. We don't have a TV in our living room....we have a fish tank we watch.

I don't think this is too bad for a 75 gallon but yeah we don't have much room for anything else.

We still want an anemone and a mandarin fish. Basically what has been happening is every 2 weeks when my father in law comes over he decides he wants to add something - he sits and watches it for hours and falls asleep watching it as well.

As for a bigger tank....yeah I don't know - I have no idea how we'd move stuff from one tank to another. I'd like a tank that was drilled though instead of the acrylic overflow we have.

Have you by chance put any pods in there? If not might do so. Add them at night and they will work their way into the sand/sump ect. You will need them to keep the goby fed (mandarin Is what I was assuming). They also help accent your CUC.

Unless you have a healthy live pod population you need to feed that mandarin often! That said, you can establish a good population by getting several different types of pods (we have bought from several LFS and online vendors) and super stocking your tank. Ours tend to congregate in low-flow low-disturbance areas, meaning our sump and at the bottom of the tank in the rockwork.