Automaticboy6

In my 90 RR tank, with 20 G sump... I have 2 Koralia 1400 powerheads, as well as a Mag 12 sump pump. There is fairly good circulation through my tank, but is what I have enough? What benefits do a wavemaker have for my already 24/7 running powerheads have? Is the tank flow I have enough, and are 2 powerheads enough? Thanks!

What type of corals do you have in the tank? Some, like SPS, love tons of indirect flow. Others, like LPS, do not handle strong flow very well.

Wavemakers help recreate the natural rythm of the ocean. While not technically necessary, most people see better polyp extension from their corals when using a wave maker.

Sorry, maybe I phrased that poorly. Just meant that the tank is RR, rather than a HOB overflow. I have my powerheads on the back wall, as the position on the ends of the tank, facing each other was causing the sand in the left side of my tank to blow up, thinking it may be because of the proximity of the overflow.

I'd say for all of the tank raised corals available and a lot of the maricultured or wild you've got plenty. I have tanks with less flow and more flow with equally good success. Still, I like the looks of a tank with a standing wave either a tunze or vortech wavemakers create and wouldn't hesitate to add those if cost isn't an issue. Delbeek and Sprung have a good chart in the back of their first volume of "The Reef Aquarium" which shows the acceptable range for lighting and water flow for different corals.

Agree with James; depends on what you want to keep.

I'd think you have more than enough flow with those powerheads. How are they positioned?

When I ran two powerheads, I had them at opposite sides and corners pointed towards each other; made for nice random flow in the middle.

I agree with Rob. Powerheads on oppossite sides of tank create random turbulant flow. I have never had a wave maker. Money has always been an issue with me.

The Mag 12 by itself would be inadequate. It is probably only pushing 600-700 gph once the head pressure is taken into account. I think the pumps you already have are more adequate and your setup sounds good.

The only benefit you will really get from adding a wavemaker is a little more random flow. I would only do it if your pumps are designed to be controlled. I know some K pumps are not designed to be turned on and off frequently and you will wear them out.

I know some K pumps are not designed to be turned on and off frequently and you will wear them out.

The Evolution series are designed for wavemaker devices. I use these with my Red Sea controller. And like Rob, I have them at each end of the tank, but attached to the back plane, and angled forward to slight "inward" in the tank (if that makes sense). I am not trying to create a wave, but just random flow patterns.