Tank Controllers

TheKipf

Hey guys,

It's been 4 months since I tore down my 90g and moved into my first house. At first was set on selling the tank due to some discouraging issues I had late in my last set up, but time cures all, and I'm looking at setting up the tank again.

In my new en-devour I'm attempting to 'build it right' and learn of the experiences from my first ever reef tank. In doing so I've been eying up tank controllers.

There's obviously two main players out there - the Reef Keeper (Elite), and the Apex. From what I have read they both have similar features and various probes and monitors to choose from. The Apex is a bit pricier but generally people say the UI is better, and with the RK you get the PH probe included in the original purchase and all for less money.

But in general, are there any specific differences in functionality or ease of use that should point me one way or the other?

Basically I'm hoping to leverage the tank controller to be an early warning indicator of my tank's health, and also to automate some tasks to keep daily maintenance simple. Because of this, I'll be running the temp/ph/orp probes if I do go the tank controller route.

For hardware, I'm going to initially have a pretty simple set up. In the sump I'll be running a protein skimmer, return pump, heater, and Phosban Reactor. I'll also be running 6x39w T5 lighting with different timers on the daylight / actinic bulbs. However as my tank develops, I would like to have the ability to manage additional hardware if I add it - like Calcium Reactors, etc..

Finally I'd love to establish a wave maker in the new tank. I know these controllers have the ability to control power heads to establish waves in the tank - but has anyone actually used this feature? I haven't been able to find many good demos of it on the web. Is the wave maker program for these tank controllers a glorified start / cut power to the outlet that your power heads are plugged in at? If you have used it - which powerheads would you suggest to use? Or am I better off bypassing the tank controller and spending the cash to go the Vortech route (which I'm addicted to watching demos of)?

And if you haven't stopped reading my long post by now, and are not sick of my barrage of general questions - is there anything cleaver that you are doing with your tank controller that you feel really helps your reef-keeping experience?

Much appreciated!

. . . There's obviously two main players out there - the Reef Keeper (Elite), and the Apex. . .

. . . Finally I'd love to establish a wave maker in the new tank. . .

You might also look at Sensaphone, here's the link: http://www.sensaphone.com/

They have a wider range of options and controllers and include voice and txt messages over a phone line (even have a satellite phone link available) and options for cameras but you will pay more than the ReefKeeper or Apex

As far as wavemakers I'm partial to Tunze's

With regard to the T5's if you already have the fixture I can understand just getting new bulbs but if you're thinking of buying new I'd urge you to look at LEDs. Up front they're a lot more expensive but in the long run cheaper as you won't be buying bulbs every year.

• Like 1

the tank controllers you outlined can make a wave as in a surge like flow in your tank. However, NEITHER of them will make a standing wave like the Tunze wave box or the Vortecs will as the controller can't turn the pumps on/off fast enough to get a standing wave.

@timfish - I already have the fixture and wasn't planning on upgrading that for the time being.

@mark - thanks for the info. I kind of figured that was the case being I wasn't finding much online with people utilizing that feature of the tank controller.

@timfish - I already have the fixture and wasn't planning on upgrading that for the time being.

@mark - thanks for the info. I kind of figured that was the case being I wasn't finding much online with people utilizing that feature of the tank controller.

I've had the apex Jr for about three months now and really like it. It was a little awkward programing it at first - its kind of like old computer code that has to be written in a certain sequence - but then I found a comprehensive guide for free on the web that explains almost everything in simple terms. For my new build, Mark Callahan (posted above) help me trick it out. For example, if it detects a water spill Mark has it programed to shut down non-essential components that could be the culprit and send me a text alert and email. One of my favorite features is I have it dosing tiny amounts Alk, Calcium and Magnesium seperately using peristalic pumps that come on at alternating times every hour. If calclium is low, for example, I just add a few more seconds of dosing time every hour via the apex.

Is there a difference between the Apex Jr. and regular other than the smaller power bar?

I've had the apex Jr for about three months now and really like it. It was a little awkward programing it at first - its kind of like old computer code that has to be written in a certain sequence - but then I found a comprehensive guide for free on the web that explains almost everything in simple terms. For my new build, Mark Callahan (posted above) help me trick it out. For example, if it detects a water spill Mark has it programed to shut down non-essential components that could be the culprit and send me a text alert and email. One of my favorite features is I have it dosing tiny amounts Alk, Calcium and Magnesium seperately using peristalic pumps that come on at alternating times every hour. If calclium is low, for example, I just add a few more seconds of dosing time every hour via the apex.

The only thing I remember from my research into both is that with the apex you can "control" stuff remotely via web interface. With the reefkeeper you can log it but you can't control it remotely. I have no experience with either so take that with a grain of salt. If someone can confirm that please let me know.

Edited by Mcjudge

I just received a Reef Angel controller this weekend. I have not been able to set it up yet, but I plan on doing a write-up about it once I have everything figured out. I really like the ability to program the controller to do anything you want. I also like the expandability.

you can control the reefkeeper via the net but its not an out of the box thing. You have to have your computer that runs the myreef software hooked up to the internet then use one of the many "remote control" programs that let you use your home computer from a remote location.

I think if I had it to do over again I would try another controler system. Don't get me wrong the reefkeper does all I want it to it just seems like its all mickey mouse but then again they may all be that way seeing no 2 tanks are the same so I guess a flexable system needs to be somewhat generic.

Question for people that have controlers.

I am setting up a 50g reef tank (it's my first saltwater) Would it be advisable for me to get a controler like the Apex Jr and then add on to it as my tank grows or should I just go ahead and get a model with more features...keep in mind I am new at saltwater so explain or list the basic things it will need to do for my tank please. I am going to run a 30g sump. Lighting if it matters will be LED

I know you dont have to have them but since I am new at saltwater I would rather set it up so I have less heartache from problems later.

well it depends on the car you want :) do you want a standard trans or auto ? do you want power windows? Do you have the funds for one with all the bells and whistles ? If you have the funds its usualy cheeper to get all the goodies when you purchase than to go back and add stuff latter.

If your new to tanks I would say dont get a controller till you understand about the general daily maintanence of a tank. and figure out what all you want to do with it. heck you may decide you hate it and throw it all in the garage in 6 mo. and if you sell look for about 50 cents on the dollar for what you spend unless you buy used.

I read on Neptune's website, the Apex Jr. has a wavemaker built in. Is this just not true? It says:

WaveMaker

Each pump to be controlled can have an user configured period in which both the on and off times are fully programmable and can range from 1 second to 999 minutes. A variable length feed timer cycle can be initiated with the press of a button and will disable some or all of the pumps in the system (programmed by the user).

They can be used in the old school sense of "wavemaking," where various pumps turn off and on at different times to change the flow in the tank. However, they are not adjustable enough to be used to turn a pump on and off in rapid succession to create a wave like a Tunze Wavebox. You need to be able to control turning a pump off and on in microseconds so that you can find the resonant frequency of your tank, at least to make the largest wave possible.