Adding a yellow tang

nvandewa

Yeah, I have a blue and yellow in a 125-gallon and they still barely tolerate each other. I'm sure you know but the blue will get to a max size of up to 1'. Just stating just in case you weren't planning to upgrade tank size in the future. But as most of us that are hooked on this hobby know, you always go up in tank size... it's as impossible as trying to avoid getting old. :-)

-Ty

I have 3 small Hippos, a lg Yellow Tang and a lg Powder Blue Tang all together in a 180g. The Yellow was added first and then the 3 Hippos and later a Naso and the Powder Blue together. The Yellow chased the Hippos for about a day and has completely left them alone since. He didn't bother the Naso much but definitely doesn't like the Powder Blue... He still confronts him every now and then, but the total harrassment is not constant anymore. I believe this is more due to them being the same shape and more competitive with each b/c of this.

Your biggest negative against you is your tank size and one you definitely need to consider... The other variable that you can never really predict is the individual fish's agression level. Some fish of the same kind will have totally different temperments and it is somewhat a matter of luck and observation while in the fish store on what temperment you get. Also fish size can play a role in suitability... It may be too late now, but with your tank size; you would have been better off to add them at the same time...

I'm not going to go on the tang patrol, but isn't a 55 pushing it alone with one of these. I hear all over that people should have a 90 for any single tang? I'm setting up a 50 gallon, if a 55 is acceptable, would a 50 be ok as well?

I'm not going to go on the tang patrol, but isn't a 55 pushing it alone with one of these. I hear all over that people should have a 90 for any single tang? I'm setting up a 50 gallon, if a 55 is acceptable, would a 50 be ok as well?

It's going to depend on which one you want. I had a Kole Tang in my 60 for a few months and just recently lost him to an internal parasite. He was constantly sick with something. I just replaced him with a small Yellow Tang on Saturday and she seems very happy and healthy. I think my 60 will be too small for her once she is full-grown, but I plan on upgrading in about a year anyways.

I would imagine you could get away with a Kole or Tomini Tang in your 50, but not much else.

DerrickH, adding them when they are small definitely helps with them getting along. Your Hippo will eventually outgrow your 40g and you will need to get rid of it or as most of us inevitably do, upgrade in tank size. good luck!

Probably depending on the disposition of the fish but you need to be prepared to take one out in a hurry if things don't work out. Long term though you definitely will need to upgrade your tank size (terrible thought, I know) or get rid of one of them more likely the Regal.