Skimmer Issue

Rjohn

My skimmer seems to have some sort of problem. It is over-producing bubbles and forcing water out the top. Turning the riser to the closed position has no affect at all. I pulled it out, cleaned it, put it back together and it does the same thing. I either need some help diagnosing the problem or I need a new skimmer that is rated for 100 or 150 gallons.

Any ideas?

have you dosed anything lately like red slime or something along those lines? its over skimming prob because of something in the water could take a couple of days to a week till it gets normal again or do a large water change it should help. this happen to me when i used stuff to get rid of cyano.

i also have a euroreef skimmer rated up to 150 if your interested.

Ric...use this stuff for your cyano issue. 100% natural, won't drive your skimmer crazy other than you'll pull out nasty skimmate.

I use it on my tank weekly just as a way to help keep things super clean.

I've had countless viewers use it to clean out even the nastiest of tanks with great results

Mark, I'm curious to know how much you use on your tank each week. I know the dose says 10 ml per 10 gallons... Would it be the same for an existing cyano issue? I'm sick of dealing with this stuff!

If you have an existing issue, you work up to the full dose first, then you dose every 3-4 days until the issue is under control. Then you can switch to the main't dose of 10 mL/10g 1x a week.

Whenever I see a small cyano outbreak I put in a dose and it usually knocks out the cyano overnight.

Sounds like your tank has a lot of stored nutrients in it, which is why the cyano keeps coming back. Therefore you'll need more of it to knock out the issue.

I just used Chemi clean on my tank less than a week ago and my skimmer also went nuts. What I did was do a 20% water change.. then sat with a 5 gallon bucket on the floor next to the skimmer on the closed position. Every time the skimmer cup filled up, I unplugged it and emptied it into the bucket. It took about twenty minutes and three gallons of water to finally stabilize the skimmer enough that it stopped overflowing. I replaced the 3 gallons with new salt water and I left the skimmer in the almost closed position overnight and by morning (I did this in the evening around 7) it had not overflowed and I could finally open it up. Hope that helps. :)

Ric...use this stuff for your cyano issue. 100% natural, won't drive your skimmer crazy other than you'll pull out nasty skimmate.

I've had countless viewers use it to clean out even the nastiest of tanks with great results

Definitely looking into this! Thanks Mark!

Definitely looking into this! Thanks Mark!

Great...let me know how it goes.

Sounds like your tank has a lot of stored nutrients in it, which is why the cyano keeps coming back. Therefore you'll need more of it to knock out the issue.

What kind of nutrients are we talking about? Is there any way to get rid of them without having to dose? I was doing 10% water changes once a week before the cyano, then when it popped up I went to 10% twice a week and cut back on my lights by two hours a day.

EDIT: Nevermind... the brilliant idea to do research on my own popped into my head. Thanks for the advice on the product to use. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

• 3 weeks later...

Just dosed the Dr. Tims Waste Away yesterday. Started with the half-dose and will dose full strength next Monday. My algae problem that I previously posted about had cleared up completely, so I assume it was just diatoms. The sand bed is starting to brown up again, so I hope this stuff works. Ill update later. :)

From the manf of chemiclean:

Directions: Use included level scoop, one per each 10 gallons. After 48 hours, repeat if needed. Must change water (20%) after every treatment. Contents treat 300 gallons.

Important Note: So you do not alter or filter ChemiClean out of your tank, first turn off UV sterilizer and/or Ozonizer and also your Protein Skimmer. Remove ChemiPure or any other Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment. During treatment maintain tank oxygen levels with airstone or other aerator.

Edited by DerrickH