Life expectancy of a fire shrimp?

nvandewa

Fire shrimp died last night. Found an emerald crab finishing it off. I had it for about 6 months. Did notice over the last month thought the red of it's body had gotten darker. Do you think it died of old age, got something else? I checked my water parameters and they were good.

post-1405-0-83889100-1318516064_thumb.jp

post-1405-0-33774900-1318516098_thumb.jp

Not sure on the life expectancy...but we have had ours for well over a year. By looking at your pic, it looks like he just molted . Don't be surprised if he comes out later. Our shrimp molts around every three weeks. When we first got into the hobby 7 years ago, and saw it for the first time, we thought our shrimp was dead, but realized later that he had just gone through a molt.

Hope this helps smile.png

Yeah, our cleaner shrimp likes to freak us out by hanging out on top of a powerhead, and then we come home to find what looks like his lifeless body getting chopped up in the impeller, but always turns out he's molting. He pops up three days later, good as new.

I would agree with the molting suggestion. My cleaning shrimp, pep shrimp and hermits all molt and hide out for a few days while their vulnerable new soft exoskeleton hardens back up. Then they're back to normal scavenging.

+1 on the molting. I've never had one live for 4-5 years like I often have Coral Banded (I'm happy to get 2 years though) but if you got it at about 1 1/2" long I would hope for 2 years and about 2 1/2" long.